News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:18:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Preferred method for remote I/O on Do-More  (Read 4912 times)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Preferred method for remote I/O on Do-More
« on: July 14, 2014, 08:56:28 PM »
Both the onboard Ethernet port on a Do-More and EBC's support both Modbus/TCP and ERM/EBC mode.

Since ERM/EBC mode allows native-mode addressing and doesn't require any ladder logic for interlocking, etc., I assume that's the preferred mode for 205, 405, and Terminator remote I/O?

If so, are there any limitations to that mode which would force you to use Modbus/TCP in specific scenarios as a workaround?
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Preferred method for remote I/O on Do-More
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
The only issue is if you need to access an EBC, as opposed to EBC100. If not, the Do-more Ethernet master is far better in every way. Faster, easier, supports remote CTRIOs and drives natively. No contest.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:01:03 PM »
Hmm, this is for an existing site, with ERM/EBC's, that I'd be upgrading from a 260 to a D-M.  Have to check if the EBC's are 100's or not.  Budget might be there to replace them if not.  Are you saying ERM mode on a DM won't talk to a non-100 EBC, or just that it doesn't perform as well?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:05:14 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
It isn't ERM mode. It's a new Ethernet expansion I/O that is fully native...it looks just like local I/O. It was not practical to retrofit non-100s with the new function. If you already have an ERM and EBCs Do-more can use them, just not in the native mode.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
OK, I understand.  Thanks!