News:

• February 05, 2023, 06:06:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few questions...  (Read 3304 times)

DanG

A few questions...
« on: July 10, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Hi,
I'm just about to start programming a C++ library for use with the H2-EBC100.  I've read the Ethernet Interface Spec v3.0 and examined the example program EBCIO, but still have a few questions.  This is being added to a large existing system that contains applications running on 2 computers networked together along with other ethernet devices.  The system is on its own network via a gigabit switch.

1) Is the Ethernet SDK driver multi-threaded?  Meaning can I have several H2-EBC100s on the same network controlled by one computer, but each run in it's own thread (several instances of the driver running concurrently)?  I would be calling "HEIOpen", "HEIOpenTransport", "HEIOpenDevice", "HEICloseDevice", "HEICloseTransport", and "HEIClose" in each of these threads since they are completely indepenedent of one another.

2) Would the only issue be possibly changing the port and IP address used for each instance in the AddressIP structure?

3) I assume the driver works with Windows XP and Windows 7.  Is there a 64 bit version?  If not, could I get full source code to attempt to create a 64 bit version?

4) Given the information above, are there any other things I should be aware of?

I should have hardware here soon to debug my code with.  Thanks in advance!

Dan

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: A few questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:24 PM »
1) Is the Ethernet SDK driver multi-threaded?  Meaning can I have several H2-EBC100s on the same network controlled by one computer, but each run in it's own thread (several instances of the driver running concurrently)?  I would be calling "HEIOpen", "HEIOpenTransport", "HEIOpenDevice", "HEICloseDevice", "HEICloseTransport", and "HEIClose" in each of these threads since they are completely indepenedent of one another.

I think it would be fine in a threaded environment. There are no internal or global data structures that I can remember; pretty much everything is provided by the client app.

2) Would the only issue be possibly changing the port and IP address used for each instance in the AddressIP structure?

Not an 'issue' per se, just a normal part of the addressing...although ports don't ever change.

3) I assume the driver works with Windows XP and Windows 7.  Is there a 64 bit version?  If not, could I get full source code to attempt to create a 64 bit version?

It does work in XP and 7. We have not done a 64 bit version, but we are happy to provide the source code. There should be a link on the left side of the Host's main website "Request SDK Source" that will lead you to the information to get it. We don't charge, but we prefer to know where the source goes...so we don't post it publicly.

4) Given the information above, are there any other things I should be aware of?

It's all pretty straightforward...just follow the examples. This is the same interface library that we use in DirectSoft and Do-more Designer...so it is well used and well tested.

"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO