Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Controls Guy on December 27, 2023, 03:33:14 PM

Title: Odd Ethernet behavior
Post by: Controls Guy on December 27, 2023, 03:33:14 PM
I installed two (I believe brand new, I think I remember breaking the box seal) BX-10E's in a project and proceeded to set IP's, flash and load programs by remoting into a PC embedded in the equipment.   One BRX I saw with no issue and set the IP via NetEdit.  Other one I couldn't see no matter what I did, so I swapped with another brand new one, and that one I had no issue with.

Before contacting you guys I thought I'd try with a different PC so I tried NetEdit from my personal laptop.   Same issue.  Fired up Wireshark cause sometimes if an IP is already set, that will disable NetEdit and you can see some packets in Wireshark that will tell you what the assigned IP is even if it's not in your network.  No joy.   Then I tried IPConfig using the MAC ID and it worked just fine, and now it shows in NetEdit.

Do you guys know what happened?   Is it OK to keep this unit or should I exchange it?
Title: Re: Odd Ethernet behavior
Post by: BobO on December 27, 2023, 03:41:40 PM
It sounds like it might have had an IP address in it that wasn't on the PC's network. Shouldn't get out of manufacturing that way, but I wonder.

Magic handshake is always a good answer for recovery.
Title: Re: Odd Ethernet behavior
Post by: Controls Guy on December 27, 2023, 03:48:23 PM
That was my suspicion as well, but like you said, wouldn't expect it.    Also, I've seen Wireshark resolve those cases.   The device is just sitting there on it's network blabbing away trying to find somebody to talk to, and you can see the packets in Wireshark, so that's why I tried that, but didn't see anything.   Haven't actually tried that technique with a BRX before, so I don't for sure know the behavior in that scenario.

So you think this one is OK to hang on to and use?
Title: Re: Odd Ethernet behavior
Post by: BobO on December 27, 2023, 03:55:36 PM
If you are concerned, send it to me and we can run the manufacturing tests, but it should be fine.
Title: Re: Odd Ethernet behavior
Post by: Controls Guy on December 27, 2023, 04:05:28 PM
Appreciate it, but if you're not concerned, I'm not going to worry about it unless I see any more oddities.