Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Garyhlucas on March 16, 2021, 03:12:03 PM

Title: TMRAG timer suggestion
Post by: Garyhlucas on March 16, 2021, 03:12:03 PM
This timer would be really awesome if you could set the units measured as milliseconds, seconds, hours, days, weeks, and combinations too.  4 days+4 hours for instance of a 100 hour service interval.  I always use run timers on all equipment for the purpose of determining the equipment life, service interval etc.  This would make it really easy to do with a single instruction. Machine I am working on has 3 servos, 16 spindles and 6 tools to track run time on.
Title: Re: TMRAG timer suggestion
Post by: franji1 on March 17, 2021, 01:55:07 PM
Something that would accumulate seconds, but let you specify the preset as a floating point in
Minutes
Hours
Days
Weeks

e.g. 1.5 weeks preset ends up being 907,200 seconds:
1.5 weeks x 7 days/week x 24 hours/day x 60 minutes/hour x 60 seconds/minute)

The EN (Enable) input leg would basically just count ST4 edges, accurate to +/- 1 second every time you enabled it (definitely NOT millisecond resolution).

No RST (Reset) leg - just use RSTT.

Status would have to be smart, but that's what Do-more can do :-D
Title: Re: TMRAG timer suggestion
Post by: Garyhlucas on March 17, 2021, 08:14:58 PM
I am not interested in the preset, I am interested in the output, unless I misunderstand what you mean.  I am using the TMRAG to accumulate run times and I want the acc. output as hours not seconds.
Title: Re: TMRAG timer suggestion
Post by: RBPLC on March 17, 2021, 08:42:52 PM
There have been other discussions on here about time bases for timers. I think the general consensus is that if you want hours output (or any other time base), counters are the standard way of achieving this. 
Title: Re: TMRAG timer suggestion
Post by: franji1 on March 18, 2021, 09:00:15 AM
I am not interested in the preset, I am interested in the output, unless I misunderstand what you mean.  I am using the TMRAG to accumulate run times and I want the acc. output as hours not seconds.
The reolution of the accumulator makes it difficult to accurately accumulate time.  The math involved in convering seconds to hours is trivial.  The range of a millisecond based accumulator is limiting for long time measuremenrs, hence the need for a seconds based accumulator.