Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Controls Guy on September 16, 2020, 12:25:38 PM

Title: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: Controls Guy on September 16, 2020, 12:25:38 PM
I noticed there is a filter option in the BX-04AD-3 but not the BX-04AD-2B.    I assume this means the 3 does filtering but not the 2B?

If so, that puts the feature comparison for the  3 vs. 2B at like 5-0!   8)
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: BobO on September 16, 2020, 01:33:14 PM
I noticed there is a filter option in the BX-04AD-3 but not the BX-04AD-2B.    I assume this means the 3 does filtering but not the 2B?

If so, that puts the feature comparison for the  3 vs. 2B at like 5-0!   8)

That is correct. Filtering is a new feature in the -3s and UTs.
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: Controls Guy on September 16, 2020, 01:39:44 PM
Very cool.    I used a FILTER box the first time this feature deployed (with a 2B), and all other current copies use the -3 and future ones can as well.  It will be nice to get rid of the box.
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: BobO on September 16, 2020, 01:45:54 PM
Very cool.    I used a FILTER box the first time this feature deployed (with a 2B), and all other current copies use the -3 and future ones can as well.  It will be nice to get rid of the box.

Given enough channels, I suppose FILTER starts to impact scan time. The micro in the module was bored most of the time, so...
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: Controls Guy on September 16, 2020, 02:01:13 PM
Given enough channels, I suppose FILTER starts to impact scan time. The micro in the module was bored most of the time, so...

 ;D  Plus it's nice to clean up the ladder so you can focus on the actual logic without having to look at overhead stuff.
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: jrayb on September 17, 2020, 10:38:28 PM
The only downside to using the filter option is that you can't do it on the fly in run mode. The PLC has to switch to program mode if you change the filter time option.
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: BobO on September 17, 2020, 11:00:57 PM
The only downside to using the filter option is that you can't do it on the fly in run mode. The PLC has to switch to program mode if you change the filter time option.

I'm sure this could be addressed. Do you need to change it often, or is this just an initial setup tuning issue?
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: Bolt on September 18, 2020, 06:36:24 PM
The only downside to using the filter option is that you can't do it on the fly in run mode. The PLC has to switch to program mode if you change the filter time option.

I'm sure this could be addressed. Do you need to change it often, or is this just an initial setup tuning issue?
Initial setup/tuning/troubleshooting scenarios.  Or changing a sensor out with another one and needing to dial in the values.
Title: Re: Filtering available in BX analog module config
Post by: jrayb on September 18, 2020, 10:27:55 PM
What Bolt said. Basically during intiial setup or changing out sensors then needing to adjust the filter time to smooth everything out.