Host Engineering Forum
General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Angry_Robots on August 02, 2020, 07:24:00 AM
-
I am looking for solutions to an application where I need to read data from a few different types of PLCs and then push that data to a networked PC. Most of the PLCs that I would read data from will support EtherNetIP, a few might be serial. Right now I'm looking at using a Raspberry Pi and Python with an EIP library. Most other Controls Engineers here don't have a lot of Python experience though so I'd like a solution that fits more in-line with our typical equipment.
After looking over the Do-More feature set and instruction list it looks like it could be an answer. In a nutshell I would like to be able to read test results from a production PLC and then save them to a CSV file and send that file to a PC.
Does anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible with the Do More suite?
-
BRX currently only supports Explicit EIP but Implicit is currently being developed if this is a must have. One of the easier ways to transfer the file using DMD would be through email if that works for you.
-
Hmm... Maybe it won't work very well then. I was hoping for implicit messaging.
-
Hmm... Maybe it won't work very well then. I was hoping for implicit messaging.
Simulator is free. Play with it.
-
With explicit messaging I have to set up a "send" instruction on the primary PLC correct?
Outside of emailing, what would be the easiest way to get the data to PC? Originally I was thinking about just a raw CSV file dump, but SQL would also be an option.
-
With explicit messaging I have to set up a "send" instruction on the primary PLC correct?
Outside of emailing, what would be the easiest way to get the data to PC? Originally I was thinking about just a raw CSV file dump, but SQL would also be an option.
When do you need it? We're adding FTP client support in October's release.
-
Well, right now it's just in the "come up with ideas and then maybe we'll fund it" stage. So October would be fine.
-
Search this forum concerning explicit/implicit EIP. Others have been able to get BRX to work with "explicit only" EIP devices.
-
Most things can be done with explicit. Implicit is best for simple I/O operating at high speed, but practically speaking, the difference is negligible for most apps.
-
With explicit messaging I have to set up a "send" instruction on the primary PLC correct?
Yes, it does mean there has to be an explicit message transaction set up. No, it does not have to be in the data source PLC. The Do-More can still initiate the transactions with the other PLCs. "Implicit" means background comms like to remote I/O for example.