Host Engineering Forum
General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: DavidS on August 24, 2019, 05:31:10 PM
-
Just turned on a new BRX and it can not be found on the network. NetEdit3 does not find it. A network scan does not show it. Link light on the Ethernet port is lit. Act light flashes periodically, and blinks when doing a 'Find' with NetEdit, and does lots of flashing when running a network scan looking for all devices on network. But neither can see it. Tried it in Stop, Term and Run.
Never had this issue with a BRX, they always show right up when setting up the Link.
Am I missing something, or does this unit have a bad network interface...
Thanks
David
-
Take a look here:
https://forum.hosteng.com/index.php/topic,2726.0.html
Not sure if this is something new going on or not as Win XP was common on that thread. I used IPConfig and just got on with it.
-
Thanks, but unfortunately it does not apply.
Running Windows 10, very simple network, with just the standard subnet configuration.
Tried both a laptop, and desktop, plugged into the same switch as the BRX, with DHCP running on the router.
It is as if the hardware side of the Ethernet is working, but not the software in the BRX, as if the port was not configured...
This is a new unit out of the box, first time being powered up.
-
IPConfig will work with Win10. The BRX has no IP address straight out of the box. DHCP won't do anything for it either. I have had NetEdit not work for me a few times and I don't think that was just WinXp either.
-
Thanks, but unfortunately it does not apply.
Running Windows 10, very simple network, with just the standard subnet configuration.
Tried both a laptop, and desktop, plugged into the same switch as the BRX, with DHCP running on the router.
It is as if the hardware side of the Ethernet is working, but not the software in the BRX, as if the port was not configured...
This is a new unit out of the box, first time being powered up.
NetEdit uses broadcast messages. You can't do it through a switch. You have to connect directly. Not sure about IPConfig.
-
Will give a direct connect a try, and be back to you.
Thanks
-
Use a crossover cable unless your port is auto-crossover.
-
NetEdit uses broadcast messages. You can't do it through a switch. You have to connect directly. Not sure about IPConfig.
Switches pass broadcasts. Routers do not.
When it isn't working, it is generally a firewall issue.
-
:)
Thank you to all.
IPconfig did the trick. One note, connecting directly to the PLC did not work, since the PC no longer had a valid IP from a DHCP server. I probably could have assigned one, but connecting the PC, and PLC to a switch, that was connected to a router that issued IP's. did the trick.
All is good!
Thanks
DavidS
-
No, I was saying that I was under the understanding that a direct connection to the PLC was necessary to SET the IP using NetEdit.
-
No, I was saying that I was under the understanding that a direct connection to the PLC was necessary to SET the IP using NetEdit.
That is not correct.
The problem is that Windows appears to continually change the way they route broadcast traffic, particularly in multi-NIC (physical and virtual) environments. It is news to me that XP is having issues, since it was one of the few that traditionally didn't. Later versions of Windows would not only be random in where they would send them, but also be finicky in who they would accept them from. This appears to be at the root of why PLCs with a different subnet seem to be ignored. IPConfig is a way around some issues, and there is also a magic handshake that will wipe just the IP configuration of a Do-more controller. If Windows is preventing unconfigured PLCs from being seen, I'm not sure where to go with that.
I get the concerns about network security, but it is pretty tough on guys like us. We may be forced to look at the problem differently in the future.