Host Engineering Forum
General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: EDurako on July 29, 2019, 11:40:54 AM
-
Is there a way to induce a power failure on the BRX sim?
Does switching it from Run to Stop to Run induce the same results as physically switching power off and on?
I'm working on some stuff for a local water plant that loses power pretty regularly. They are working with the utility company but that could take months to get the underground lines replaced. I want to be as thorough as possible (minus buying a second PLC) in testing the logic before dropping a new revision in.
-
You could do a REBOOT. That simulates a cold restart.
-
If there's any issues with the actual power supply in the Do-More, I don't think you'll find those unless you actually cycle power.
-
You could do a REBOOT. That simulates a cold restart.
This. REBOOT is closest to a cold start.
-
Is this the part where I politely suggest that the green PWR button on the simulator be made into a toggle switch?
It would also be great if the different fields were a bit more configurable, I.E.- you could highlight X0 and change it to X200 or highlight SS0 and change it to SL0. I have been using data view to monitor these other things, but it would be super cool if you could just pick what the simulator would display.
Also, thanks for the Reboot advice, I couldn't get it to work with the simulator but I also ran out of time to play with it yesterday. My logic is pictured below.
-
Pretty sure there is no sim implementation for the cold boot function.
We kinda struggle with how much to do with the Simulator. It's hard to quantify the benefit to users and Host, which makes it harder to know how much development effort we should invest.
-
Pretty sure there is no sim implementation for the cold boot function.
We kinda struggle with how much to do with the Simulator. It's hard to quantify the benefit to users and Host, which makes it harder to know how much development effort we should invest.
I have used the simulator on every project I have built for BRX, mainly because I'm drafting logic while wires are being ran and I don't have budget for a second tester setup. I get along great with data views and I think the current simulator works well if you get a bit imaginative. However, having commands that are not supported is kind of a bummer. I can see how some things just don't work in a simulated environment, but REBOOT would be a great addition for the 5% of us who are striving to achieve 10% utilization of the available features (see what I did there?!?!? lol).
Long story short, I vote that the green power indicator be turned into a toggle switch so you can turn the power off and on. The rest is nice to have but far less beneficial for debugging potential issues that could be very troubling in the field.
-
...for the 5% of us who are striving to achieve 10% utilization of the available features (see what I did there?!?!? lol).
What you did there...I saw it. ;)