Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Bobby on February 28, 2019, 11:39:51 AM

Title: Sending a print to a laser printer
Post by: Bobby on February 28, 2019, 11:39:51 AM
Is it possible to send a print request from a Do-more to a network printer? I would want to simply print a barcode.
Title: Re: Sending a print to a laser printer
Post by: franji1 on February 28, 2019, 01:03:07 PM
There are no printer drivers in a Do-more PLC.

You might be able to emulate one if you are familiar with the low level protocol of your printer.

Typically, a PC would be more capable.  Then you can set up a simple protocol from the PLC to the PC to print a barcode.  Host Engineering does this in our own manufacturing of all the Do-more PLCs, CPUs, Ethernet modules, and I/O modules.
Title: Re: Sending a print to a laser printer
Post by: ATU on February 28, 2019, 05:37:15 PM
I know the Zebra Laser printers are much more PLC friendly. There was something about an option involving Ethernet IP if I recall.
Title: Re: Sending a print to a laser printer
Post by: Controls Guy on March 01, 2019, 01:10:02 PM
Is it possible to send a print request from a Do-more to a network printer? I would want to simply print a barcode.

Network printer I'm not sure.   Typically printers that work well with PLC's are just serial connected, so that's going to be weird with a network printer.  If the printer you want to use has a serial port, you might could run a serial cable direct if the printer is willing to take jobs from both network and serial.  Or, if the printer has a serial port, but it's too far to run a cable, you might be able to install a serial over Ethernet bridge next to the printer using the same physical Ethernet access by which the printer sees the network (local wired connection, WiFi, whatever).  Most of those are intended for use with PC's so you'd have to make sure the one you get can communicate with the PLC.

Ooh, you can roll your own, by using a BRX as the local Ethernet to serial bridge and send that PLC the strings you want sent to the printer, via the network.