Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: sgsims on February 26, 2019, 12:34:35 PM

Title: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
Post by: sgsims on February 26, 2019, 12:34:35 PM
Any plans to support EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)

I'd like to start using some of the I/O blocks from Murr that speak Ethernet I/P (Implicit Messaging)  with the Do More of Course
Title: Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
Post by: BobO on February 26, 2019, 12:51:16 PM
Yes. Not in the upcoming release (next month), but hopefully the next one later this year.
Title: Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
Post by: Controls Guy on February 26, 2019, 02:38:25 PM
Sweet!  That's gonna be a big deal (especially for AB retrofits)
Title: Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
Post by: Mike Nash on February 26, 2019, 03:13:21 PM
Oh good. I was just about to ask about an issue involving VFDs that don't see a missing master (client) as a problem when using explicit messaging. ABB mentions something about that not being a part of the EtherNet/IP spec and has a parameter to force the drive to fault if no messages come in after it was told to run. But I am not playing with an ABB drive.

The Yaskawa will fault if it loses the connection from an implicit controller, but not from Do-more/BRX explicit messages loss (unless the patch cable from the Ethernet switch to the VFD is unplugged, which is a very limited cause.) Modbus/TCP master loss WOULD fault it, but that's a different card.

So, in the meantime, is there any way to make a server(slave) device know it lost a connection and not that it was closed? The browser web page for the Yaskawa SI-EN3 doesn't even show a connection in the network status even though the BRX is sending it read/writes 135 times per second. A connection from a CompactLogix shows up just fine.
Title: Re: Do More Support for EtherNet I/P (Implicit Messaging)
Post by: sgsims on February 27, 2019, 07:36:34 PM
That's Huge...thanks BobO!