Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: Garyhlucas on January 08, 2019, 08:46:06 PM

Title: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: Garyhlucas on January 08, 2019, 08:46:06 PM
We switched from Do-More Terminator with a CTRIO card to BRX and were caught off guard by BRX only having 3 high speed counters built in.  We have 4 flow meters that pulse too fast for general inputs, what to do?

I set one of the high speed inputs to trigger an Interrupt.  In the interrupt routine I count to ten, pulse a C bit and reset the counter to zero.  that C bit drives a FreqTmr block at a rate that works in our 5ms scan time and we have the flow rate we need.  Seems to work pretty good so far.

Anyone see a problem with this?
Title: Re: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: Mike Nash on January 08, 2019, 09:25:27 PM
Good save.

I had to look and see because I was thinking of a job we had 3 H2-CTRIO2 modules for 3 axes (1 per axis, though 2 modules would have worked.) A single BRX could have done all three with Step/direction and quad encoder feedback too. I was thinking 8 high speed inputs, but I see the 3 counter restriction.

It must be a very busy program to run 5mS on a Do-more. I put the PLC scan time on the C-more on the 3 axis job and it runs around 2.5mS. I usually forget to look at the scan time on while on start-ups.
Title: Re: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: BobO on January 08, 2019, 11:17:27 PM
New BRX HSIO module coming in the next few months.
Title: Re: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: Garyhlucas on January 09, 2019, 07:25:08 PM
I just noted the scan time when I was trying to solve this problem so no effort has been made to see if it could be better.  We have about 10 analog inputs, 4 high speed inputs, 4 pulse outputs, that are not real fast, and 5 VFDs on PID loops communicating via Modbus, and a C-More that does continuous logging of data.  My suspicion would be that the way I implemented Modbus is huge resource hog.  I do use stages everywhere possible.

One thing to consider is that our product is a tiny membrane waste treatment plant rated at 10,000 gpd but the reality is it has virtually identical I/O to a 5 million gallon a day plant, so maybe not too bad.
Title: Re: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: DLTimmons on February 18, 2019, 05:09:57 PM
Any time line for the HSIO?
Title: Re: Needed 4 high speed counters in BRX
Post by: BobO on February 18, 2019, 05:11:20 PM
Soon. I'll send you a PM.