Host Engineering Forum
General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: stoic-one on December 19, 2018, 02:09:07 PM
-
Most of the references in the help file show how to use a GS3 drive via Ethernet through an EDRV100, is there any reason this can't be done via RS485 from the PLC direct to the RS485 port on the drive?
Anyone have an example of this?
-
You have to do it through Modbus MRX and MWX commands. There isn't any built in method like for the EDRV100 as remote control.
-
When done via the GS-EDRV, you get the benefit of the Ethernet I/O driver doing all the communications and your code utilizing a simple interface through a G EDrive structure. No ladder logic. "it just works".
If you do it via RS-485, you are responsible for writing all of the MRX and MWX instructions for all the various drive registers and managing where they all go and what they all mean.
The structure simplifies it greatly with structure members
.Direction
.OutputFrequency
.OutputCurrent
.RunCommand
.StatusMonitor1
.StatusMonitor2
et. al.
The Ethernet I/O driver manages all of that for you.
-
When done via the GS-EDRV, you get the benefit of the Ethernet I/O driver doing all the communications and your code utilizing a simple interface through a G EDrive structure. No ladder logic. "it just works".
If you do it via RS-485, you are responsible for writing all of the MRX and MWX instructions for all the various drive registers and managing where they all go and what they all mean.
The structure simplifies it greatly with structure members
.Direction
.OutputFrequency
.OutputCurrent
.RunCommand
.StatusMonitor1
.StatusMonitor2
et. al.
The Ethernet I/O driver manages all of that for you.
So I would have to create the equivalent of those and specifically address them through the MRX and MWX commands, correct?
Anyone of the opinion it's worth the hassle just to save some wiring?
-
And this would be instead of using the GSREGWR and RD commands, yes?
-
And this would be instead of using the GSREGWR and RD commands, yes?
Yes, those are NOT supported via serial. Those are only available when using GSEDRV and Ethernet I/O driver.
You have to do all of the comm using simple Modbus commands via MRX/MWX.
-
When done via the GS-EDRV, you get the benefit of the Ethernet I/O driver doing all the communications and your code utilizing a simple interface through a G EDrive structure. No ladder logic. "it just works".
If you do it via RS-485, you are responsible for writing all of the MRX and MWX instructions for all the various drive registers and managing where they all go and what they all mean.
The structure simplifies it greatly with structure members
.Direction
.OutputFrequency
.OutputCurrent
.RunCommand
.StatusMonitor1
.StatusMonitor2
et. al.
The Ethernet I/O driver manages all of that for you.
So I would have to create the equivalent of those and specifically address them through the MRX and MWX commands, correct?
Anyone of the opinion it's worth the hassle just to save some wiring?
Using the GSEDRV modules are great. They're easy to wire and they simplify the code needed a ton. They also allowed me on my project to load the parameters into the drive when ever the machine started, meaning that someone else coming in and jacking with my drive wouldn't screw up the system. On a reboot, it loaded the "default" parameters back into my drive.