Host Engineering Forum

General Category => Do-more CPUs and Do-more Designer Software => Topic started by: ATU on November 20, 2018, 03:22:20 PM

Title: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 20, 2018, 03:22:20 PM
Using a Type T thermocouple in a glass of ice water.  In the Module Configuration it states  Units/Ct: 0.1 DegC
I am reading in 120 from WX1 , which should be 12.0 deg?   But my calibrator reads 1.2 deg C. 

Also turned on the scaling calibration with the default values and got 50.28387.  Shouldn't it be 0.01 DegC/Count?

Got another T type Thermocouple and tied it Channel 2  It shows 320 unscaled at room temp. My calibrator with another T  shows 21.9 dec C which is reasonable. Something is not right. Maybe the module is bad?  Brand new out of the box. Data changes, I get broken noitification, seems to be doing something, just not the right data.



Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 23, 2018, 08:32:52 AM
There was something broken in the configuration of one of the modules. It might have been that one. I'll check when I'm back at the office.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 23, 2018, 01:31:37 PM
I'm almost certain it was this module that had config issue. I'm struggling to identify exactly what issue was fixed, but this symptom sounds super familiar. I was thinking it was fixed in the latest releases, but since I'm not sure what it was, it's kinda hard to confirm. I'll check with others Monday.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 23, 2018, 06:21:07 PM
Thanks, I can wait. Just good to know something other than me might be messed up. Isn't the 8 position TC recently released?  I had an older version of DMD and only the 4 pos was listed.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 24, 2018, 10:18:34 AM
Thanks, I can wait. Just good to know something other than me might be messed up. Isn't the 8 position TC recently released?  I had an older version of DMD and only the 4 pos was listed.


Yes, it was in the Phase II modules. Are you running the latest of everything now?
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 24, 2018, 12:59:13 PM
DMD 2.3.2  and I will double check the CPU version when I get back in on Monday.  I am pretty sure I updated it at the same time, but will verify.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 26, 2018, 11:38:41 AM
Do-More  2.3.0
OS 2.3.2
Booter 1.0.3
FPGA 1.8
Hardware 6A 5D
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 26, 2018, 01:16:12 PM
It should be fixed in what you have. Delete your module config and recreate.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 26, 2018, 01:52:33 PM
Delete is grayed out in the module List and the I/O configuration. I have tried offline, online, Edit and non edit modes. Whats the trick? There are no references in my program.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 26, 2018, 02:46:19 PM
Can't not have one. Create a new one and reassign.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 26, 2018, 03:51:16 PM
Ok, added new Cfg, replaced and deleted old, downloaded

added a 3rd J Type to the T's on 1 and 2
Verified all with a FLUKE HH506A digital Thermometer

Attached screen shot of cfg and watch window, the temp should be around 70 deg, what am I doing wrong?
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: Controls Guy on November 26, 2018, 04:30:20 PM
 You have the DegF button selected (vs counts), but then are also asking to scale +/- 3276.4 -> 0-100F.  I'd think you have to do one or the other but not both, but then that still begs why your instruments are reporting anywhere from 74 to 100F.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 26, 2018, 04:34:34 PM
No difference selecting counts
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: Controls Guy on November 26, 2018, 04:38:15 PM
In fact, the presence of that selection is in itself confusing.  It appears that, as is usually the case for a temperature module, the "counts" are already prescaled into temp EU.  Therefore, the option of scaling when the counts are already EU is odd, though I guess you might want to scale into something generic like 32-212F -> 0-100 (%) or something.  But....even if you allow for that, what do the DegF / Counts pushbuttons do, since the dialog, to the left, affirms that the counts are already in temperature units?
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: Controls Guy on November 26, 2018, 04:40:39 PM
No difference selecting counts

Oh, I see what it's for.  If you select DegF, that's why you get the decimal place in the WX in the dialog.  Still don't see why you're getting values from 74-100.

And that also answers why you'd want the scaling in the first place.  Despite the fact that if you select DegF button the WX display is -3276.8 to 3276.7, the ACTUAL counts are still 0.1F/C per count, so if you want a FP analog temp and you select DegF, you'll get a box scaled like 0.0 100.0 0.0 100.0, that doesn't look like it's doing anything, but is actually dividing by 10 to give actual temp in the RX (and possibly also for clamping).
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on November 26, 2018, 04:45:57 PM
That button has nothing to do with configuring anything. It is is just there to allow you to specify the module units in counts or V/ma/temp units.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on November 27, 2018, 12:02:28 PM
Found it, extension wires reversed.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module
Post by: ATU on December 17, 2018, 05:07:08 PM
For my application, normal operation will be not having some or all  thermocouples attached.  It will be part of my machine configuration, not the module setup and I will check for what is connected in my program.   I am getting IO error ST152 all the time when there are TCs missing. Is there anyway to suppress that or configure programmatically which channels are active?
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module
Post by: BobO on December 17, 2018, 05:15:40 PM
For my application, normal operation will be not having some or all  thermocouples attached.  It will be part of my machine configuration, not the module setup and I will check for what is connected in my program.   I am getting IO error ST152 all the time when there are TCs missing. Is there anyway to suppress that or configure programmatically which channels are active?

ST152 is read/write. You should be able to clear it in code.

Barring that, short the unused channels.

Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on December 17, 2018, 05:22:42 PM
I tried that, but the fault came back. I guess I'll have to make up a shorting plugs for unused channels.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on December 17, 2018, 05:40:30 PM
I tried that, but the fault came back. I guess I'll have to make up a shorting plugs for unused channels.

Add a rung to keep it off.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on December 17, 2018, 06:32:06 PM
But what happens if I have a real I/O problem, then I won't know. Planning on using jumpers.  That works.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on December 17, 2018, 07:40:01 PM
But what happens if I have a real I/O problem, then I won't know. Planning on using jumpers.  That works.

Well...yeah...If you care.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on December 19, 2018, 05:09:47 PM
When I add a jumper for the unused channels using standard wire, I get 292 in the WX regisiter for all shorted channels, which is 29.2 degC. I would have thought that I would be reading a really high  number, but its 292 on type "T".  None of the status bits come on.  How can I detect that?
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: BobO on December 19, 2018, 06:09:25 PM
When I add a jumper for the unused channels using standard wire, I get 292 in the WX regisiter for all shorted channels, which is 29.2 degC. I would have thought that I would be reading a really high  number, but its 292 on type "T".  None of the status bits come on.  How can I detect that?

I honestly don't know. That's a question for ADC or FACTS.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: mhw on December 19, 2018, 06:26:57 PM
Quote
When I add a jumper for the unused channels using standard wire, I get 292 in the WX regisiter for all shorted channels, which is 29.2 degC. I would have thought that I would be reading a really high  number, but its 292 on type "T".  None of the status bits come on.  How can I detect that?
The shorted inputs should show the temperature at that connection.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: Controls Guy on December 19, 2018, 06:40:51 PM
When I add a jumper for the unused channels using standard wire, I get 292 in the WX regisiter for all shorted channels, which is 29.2 degC. I would have thought that I would be reading a really high  number, but its 292 on type "T".  None of the status bits come on.  How can I detect that?

How can you detect what?  Doesn't the app know which channels are shorted?  Reading the local temp is normal for shorted T/C channels.  If it's a field-configurable OTS app and the app needs to know how many channels are in use I think you're going to have to have the user enter which channels he's using.
Title: Re: BX-08THM Module Scaling
Post by: ATU on December 19, 2018, 07:38:19 PM
Reading the local temp is normal for shorted T/C channels. 
[/quote

I didn't know that. Makes sense. First time using a thermocouple  module. Thanks.