News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would there be any possibility of getting a BASIC language interpreter?  (Read 5458 times)

Alacrity

I would give my first born child for a BASIC interpreter for the Automation direct DL06 PLC's.

Are there any plans for such a thing? Would anyone else like to see something like that?

This ladder Logic is killing me slowly.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: Would there be any possibility of getting a BASIC language interpreter?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
Why wish?  There's a BASIC coprocessor!  I don't know the part number, but it would occupy one of the I/O slots.

Alacrity

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
I called Automation direct about that. They told me that it was just for processing ascii communications with a keypad or barcode scanner and won't work to control the PLC I/O

That and I'd have to buy one for every PLC we have in the field.

If automation direct customer service was wrong, then I'll have some strong words for them.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
Well, it's slow (interpretive) and you gotta go through the main CPU.  Even VB.NET is interpreted by the .NET framework, so that's no surprise.

You can move in/out blocks at a time (maybe?).  Move in a bunch of V memory in and out of the main PLC, and have ladder logic that all it does is move THAT V memory into and out of real Xs and Ys???

How fast do you need it to be?

Alacrity

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 07:46:56 PM »
Speed isn't an issue.. The devices are only polled once every ten minutes.
There's nothing that requires lightning fast calculations.

The Problem is those cards cost 95% of the price of the PLC itself.

An IDE that goes from basic to the machine code, instead of from Ladder Logic would be nicer. :-)

Ah well.. I guess I'm in the minority.. I just find Ladder Logic to be very klunky.

DEATH TO BCD!

Regards,

AZRoger

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:09:12 PM »
Alacrity,

I have a system that uses the BASIC co-processor from FACTS Engineering (not to be confused with Host Engineering). I got it to do complex calculations like computing the time of civil twilight for today. I don't think you'd like the co-processor. It's klunkier than ladder logic. It's like the old service bureau BASIC invented by GE in the 50s or early 60's.

Things I don't like: line numbers, maximum 255 strings all called $, maximum array size 255, variable name rules that make Bakeit and Burnit the same variable, a "glass teletype" user interface that needs a serial cable (can't use the ECOM connection), Line Numbers, odd handling of PLC addresses that are octal (it will accept the value 9 but treat it as 1), odd conversions between binary, hex, octal, bcd, real, ... when communicating with PLC memory, next to worthless error messages, did I mention LINE NUMBERS.

Things I do like: it's always on when the PLC is on, it can access 128 words (which you address in BASIC as 256 bytes) of PLC memory on every scan.

If I had it to do over, I would have thrown away my D2-250-1 and upgraded to a 260. The 260 can do trig.

Roger

8bits

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 01:40:39 PM »
It looks like the Intel 8051 BASIC which is now in public domain. As previously stated, kinda clunky :D