News:

• May 02, 2024, 10:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: H0-ECOM100 and DL05 trouble  (Read 51389 times)

ksmith

H0-ECOM100 and DL05 trouble
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
I have been having some trouble with the ECOM100 and DL05.  Occasionally when I try and update the program via the ECOM, I will get an error message.  Sometimes cycling the power on the DL05 will fix the problem, other times it will not.  I saw in a previous post that this is a known problem, and one of the work around this problem is to manually put the DL05 in the program mode-load the program-then manually put it back in the run mode.  This works most of the time, but not all of the time.  I still get this error, just 2 out of 5 times.  Both have current firmware and boot files. 

When looking at the problem, I can use NetEdit and still see the ECOM, but it will fail in trying to test CPU access.

One way I get the problem resolved is to power down, remove the ECOM, power up, power down again, reinstall the ECOM, and then power up.  That works most of the time, but what a pain.

Looking a solution to this as this is going to be a standard hardware set-up for us with our new product line....and I can't have this potential error looming.

Any suggestions on a fix, better work around, or even a firmware fix (if that is the problem)????

Help....

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: H0-ECOM100 and DL05 trouble
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
Yes, ksmith, this is a known issue with DL05/H0-ECOM100 combination. In our tests:

(1) DL05, RUN mode, H0-ECOM100, Download ladder change: Fails about 10% of the time.
(2) DL05, PROGRAM mode, H0-ECOM100, Download ladder change: <1% (never duplicated here, but could happen)
(3) DL05, RUN mode, H0-ECOM, Download ladder change: <1% (never duplicated here, but could happen)
(4) DL05, PROGRAM mode, H0-ECOM, Download ladder change: <1% (never duplicated here, but could happen)

As you can see from our tests, the obvious "work-around" is (2), (3) or (4) until a fix can be determined. The H0-ECOM is less likely to fail.

Also, notice that when ladder changes are not being downloaded, all is stable. So you should only encounter this type of problem during development stages, and never in production (when changes are not being made).

Currently, our testing indicates a problem with the DL05 firmware. We are working with our partners, Koyo, for a fix.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

ksmith

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
Thanks for the response.  I have tried 1 and 2 in your list.  I seem to have a lower success rate than your numbers show.  I'll keep my eyes open for a firmware update.

If anyone else has another work around, please post.

ksmith

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »
Has anyone tried downgrading the firmware to 5.1 or 5.2 to see of this problem goes away?  I am using 5.3 and this is really frustrating me.  I have to deal with this problem quite a bit, even by manually putting it in the program mode.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:15 AM »
That probably will not help, ksmith, because it is a backplane issue of which DirectSOFT has nothing to do with.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

ksmith

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 09:34:44 AM »
Going back to an earlier firmware did not help.

Here is my new concern....last night before I left the office, I had a 260 and (2) 05's networked and working fine via ECOM100s.  I shut the power off.  This morning when I powered the system back up, I had a problem with one of the ECOM100s and an 05-same problem that started this thread.  It appears this problem can happen just by turning the power on....that does not offer me any comfort at all---what if this happens in the field just by the customer turning on the power.  How can I help escalate this issue with Koyo and Host Eng to get a fix??  Is the ball in Koyo's court?  I need to get this resolved pretty quick as we are going to production in the next few weeks....HELP !!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:42:06 AM by ksmith »

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
For the benefit of those on the forum, we're working with ksmith on this one directly. For a work-around, we are recommending he temporarily swap out his H0-ECOM100s for H0-ECOMs to see if his problem goes away.

ksmith

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 01:44:01 PM »
Any update on a firmware update to solve this problem?? ???

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:43 PM »
Excellent timing ksmith!  ;D

Actually, last week, I just tested new firmware for the DL05 (v5.31) and it passes the tests I did on it. I can no longer duplicate the lockup in the manner in which you experienced it. I will e-mail you the DL05 firmware v5.31 for you to test. If it works for you, let me know, and I'll inform Koyo (they are very interested in field tests), and they will release it as DL05 v5.40 firmware very soon.

Lwood

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »
First off I realize that this is from 2009.  ;D
Has there been a resolution of this issue? I am experiencing the same issue as described above.
I have looked for the firmware update mentioned and have not been able to locate it. Was it ever released?
Having a stable 05 and ecom100 combination would help me out considerably on one of my current projects.

Thanks

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
Unfortunately Lwood, Koyo has not yet turned the DL05 firmware v5.31 that I tested into a new firmware release (v5.4). I will ping the Automation Direct product engineering and see if we can find out why that is. It may be that the firmware either had other issues (because my test was just for this specific symptom) or other issues needed to be addressed.

Lwood

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »
Ok Thanks for the quick reply.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »
Turns out, Koyo accumulates issues so that they can be fixed in a bundle. Also, a parts issue has come up they are also wanting to include before release of new firmware. It has to do with a better real-time clock chip. This new chip also required some firmware development and changes. They are in the middle of all of this. So, unfortunately, it is still pending. But that's the scoop.

rswolff

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
the ECOM's have lots of problems residing in a D0-06....yes....I have nine (9) ECOM-100's and if I try to update any plc thats also being polled from another plc, I will almost always get the ECOM to lockup. I can still ping it but I can no longer reach the plc. Cycling power restores the plc communication. HOST has indicated its a firmware issue on the D0-06.....I think its just badly designed h/w and s/w for both.
Bob >:(

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 04:45:36 PM »
Badly designed for both? Perhaps...but when the CPU quits talking to us, there is *zero* that we can do about it. Better hardware and better software cannot make the master start talking to the slave when it chooses not to.

Sorry that you have had a bad experience. I wish there were something I could do to make it better.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO