News:

• May 17, 2024, 02:14:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HO-ECOM100 to VIEWMARQ  (Read 2551 times)

tweedy

HO-ECOM100 to VIEWMARQ
« on: May 07, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
Have a VIEWMARQ all programmed and working with a DL06 / H0-ECOM100.  Used all connected together using a STRIDE switch.
Now I want to connect direct between H0-ECOM100 and VIEWMARQ.
Have cross over cable. ECOM set to MODBUS peer to peer. IP= 169.254.255.0  Port= 502 Unit ID =255
VIEWMARQ IP= 169.254.255.1

Are my IP#'s compatible?  Do I need ECOM BOX in RLL?
Sure would be nice to have a nice reference on how to connect from PLC to VM(any MODBUS-TCP)
Appreciate any guidance.

My first go at MODBUS-TCP.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: HO-ECOM100 to VIEWMARQ
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:27:44 PM »
Are my IP#'s compatible?
Well, the first thing is you should never use 255 as any of the octets of an IP address (e.g. your 169.254.255.1). Nor should you ever use 0 as an ending octet (e.g. 169.254.255.0).
Do I need ECOM BOX in RLL?
Yes. However, this may be a complete nightmare for you especially since it is your "first go at Modbus TCP." It is certainly not straightforward. It requires a bit of studying for first-time users.

I highly recommend you download the mduserm.PDF (VIEWMARQ manual) from Automation Direct's website if you haven't already, and turn to page 7-76 and study. This is where it tells you how to do this very thing.

I would recommend, if possible, that instead of using a DL06 w/H0-ECOM100, that you use a Do-more BRX-PLC w/built-in Ethernet port. It is much easier to use with the VIEWMARQ (and faster) than your current setup. This is also covered in the same manual.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »
Also, I would point out, unfortunately, the manual I mentioned only shows you how to do this using discrete ladder logic. It does not show you how to use the IBoxes (which are easier to use). For example, you asked about the ECOM100 IBox; the manual does not use this. Instead of using discrete logic as shown in the manual, you would use the ECOM100 IBox, and the ECWX and ECRX IBoxes instead.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

tweedy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Thanks Greg.

I did bone up on IP Addressing and found out those errors.

While not quite a nightmare, I did quickly learn that using older technology with newer did create some hassle.  I just had this 06 laying around and wanted to use it up on the utility fixture I'm working on.

I did initially refer to the manual page you referenced and was communicating to the VM but using a switch and DHCP.  This was so I could have all three major components online together - Programming laptop, VM and DL06.

What is odd is that I was not using the same MODBUS IP address as the VM as called out in the P2P of the H0-ECOM100(as stated in 7-76).  I did change to the same IP as the VM and it does still work. Doesn't make sense that they should be the same.

The issue I still have is that if I lose power to the system which is now direct between DL06 and VW using MODBUS TCP the communication does not automatically restart.  I have  to switch the 06's  Run-Term-Stop switch to get them talking again.  Have to do this several times before it will take and comm resumes.  This is where I was wondering if I need any of the ECOM iboxes so I don't have the issue any more.  I did use discreet logic and after I was all done I realized that the iboxes exist.  maybe switching  to iBoxes would provide better synchronization and allow consistent comm??

It has been some time since I have dug into the RLL.  I am in a different role at work and don't live and breathe PLC's like I used to. I see all the improvements made and new devices out there and long to be in that flow again.