News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:54:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352575 times)

jsatkanpak

Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2007, 04:31:27 PM »
I would definitely like the PID trends to continue updating when they're not being viewed, as listed above.  Being able to place multiple loops on a single trend screen would be helpful too.

An alerting mechanism regarding double word-using functions, such as TMRA's -- perhaps as an option to auto-populate the "Wiring" field with "DW-2", use the TMRA address concatenated with "DW2" as the nickname, or something.  Currently just using the XREF to keep track of these things.

jsatkanpak

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2007, 04:44:46 PM »
It would be REALLY nice if DS had optional rev tracking so that the development history could be accessed from within DS.

It would be nice if DS projects could be saved as a single file.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 11:42:15 AM »
It would be REALLY nice if DS had optional rev tracking so that the development history could be accessed from within DS.
We implemented the project's Properties page that implements a way to enter VERY SIMPLE project maintenance information.  See File->Properties.  One of the predefined fiels is Version.

If you want to add any fields to this dialog, edit the DS500.INI file under [ProjectInfoUser] group and add or edit any fields that you want to show up in that dialog.  This information will be printed with the Title page.

If you are looking for a true source control utility, we recommend using a 3rd party package, like Microsoft's Visual Source Safe, which is what we use for all of our source code.

buzzy

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2007, 09:23:44 AM »
How about adding the ability to programmatically change the IP number of the SMTP server on the ECOM 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2007, 09:54:35 AM »
How about adding the ability to programmatically change the IP number of the SMTP server on the ECOM 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's already in Rel 5.  It's the ECEMSUP (ECOM100 EMail Setup) IBox.  You can configure 1 or all of the SMTP paramters from ladder logic:
1. SMTP Server IP Address
2. Sender Name
3. Sender EMail Address
4. TCP/IP Port Number (default is 25)
5. Timeout in seconds
6. Predefined cc: list
There's check boxes next to the fields you wish to edit:

Andy

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 10:27:45 AM »
MRX and MWX: It would be nice if the "slave address" & "number of element" fields could be held in an assigned "V" value.  The older RX & WX functions allow this numeric value to be stored in a "V" memory location.  This allows one to create one read or write function for common devices, simply change the data pointer and header address (nice compact code).  The newer MRX & MWX has one feature which I could realy make use of, that being the exception response buffer.  So giving the MRX & MWX just a bit more...(don't lock it down so tight) along with the much needed communication response information you've got it.

Speaking of communciation; why aren't the comm registers available to view for port 1 & 2?

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 11:27:53 AM »
MRX and MWX: It would be nice if the "slave address" & "number of element" fields could be held in an assigned "V" value.  The older RX & WX functions allow this numeric value to be stored in a "V" memory location.  This allows one to create one read or write function for common devices, simply change the data pointer and header address (nice compact code).  The newer MRX & MWX has one feature which I could realy make use of, that being the exception response buffer.  So giving the MRX & MWX just a bit more...(don't lock it down so tight) along with the much needed communication response information you've got it.

Speaking of communciation; why aren't the comm registers available to view for port 1 & 2?

Andy,

I've forwarded your request about the MRX and MWX instructions to the proper people at Automation Direct.

Regarding your 2nd request, I need some more detail or an example.  What type of communication registers are you speaking about?  Do you mean UART registers?

JohnB

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »
I would like to have the ability to view the retentive memory range settings in the Automation Direct PLC's without having to put the PLC in program mode. This would allow me to check to see if the ranges are set properly without having to shut down a process.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
I would like to have the ability to view the retentive memory range settings in the Automation Direct PLC's without having to put the PLC in program mode. This would allow me to check to see if the ranges are set properly without having to shut down a process.
Yeah, we really need to fix this.  I can't believe we let this slip (sorry!).  Offically, it's case 1353 in our issue report database.

Tony

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2008, 11:31:26 AM »
It would be nice to get rid of the 9999 BCD limit on contacts |>=| and |<|.  Have the contacts work with real numbers.  Converting between all these number systems is driving me crazy.  How about everything just works with real numbers, one number system, that's it.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2008, 12:32:08 PM »
It would be nice to get rid of the 9999 BCD limit on contacts |>=| and |<|.  Have the contacts work with real numbers.  Converting between all these number systems is driving me crazy.  How about everything just works with real numbers, one number system, that's it.
We're definitely looking at doing some cool things for Rel 6, like allowing comparison of reals and ints (even mixing them), and allowing you to enter numeric constants as decimal, hexadecimal, or real (even octal), YOUR choice.

plcpro

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2008, 08:18:21 PM »
BCD is for geeks. Integer, float, binary.  No other data types are necessary are they?  If you simply must have BCD then just use binary and convert it on your calculator(geeky).

Do I really need to tell the processor to load the value to the accumulator before doing an operation on it?  Lets move that function to the background where it belongs. I would prefer a math box that could read V4000+V2000*(K3)=V4200

I frequently have to assist programmers doing field work.....it would be very nice if I could access all the same text boxes and such as if I was online...perhaps stopping just short of executing the instruction.  Having them greyed out on the menu to let me know they are not available off-line is understandable, but perhaps you could allow programmers to click into them anyway just to be able to talk someone else through it.

I would also really like to see the PID moved to an instruction that could be enabled and disable and as a direct shortcut to the settings.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2008, 08:24:21 PM »
Ask and ye shall receive. Cool stuff in the pipe!  ;)
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2008, 09:46:08 PM »
Do I really need to tell the processor to load the value to the accumulator before doing an operation on it?  Lets move that function to the background where it belongs. I would prefer a math box that could read V4000+V2000*(K3)=V4200
I'm guessing you don't have Rel 5?  In Rel 5 we added a bunch of DirectSOFT side instructions called IBoxes, three of which are exactly what you want, MATHBCD, MATHBIN, and MATHR (yes, they do BCD, Binary, and Real calculations on V memory).  The Math IBoxes basically generates the LD ADD OUT instructions, just like a compiler would with C code.

Here's a quote from an independent review of DirectSOFT Rel 5 from March 2006, "The real crown jewels are the Math IBoxes"
Check out the review here http://www.plcdev.com/review_of_automationdirects_directsoft5_programming_software

MikeMc

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2008, 02:54:29 AM »
Here's a few from outside the box.

Give us the ability to trigger the ECOM test message from ladder logic so the PLC can send us the information on ip address and such.

The ability to format the subject line in an email like we can in the body. That way we can shorten the messages to just from and a subject line

The ability to set the priority flag on the email to high importance

A POP3 client where the PLC can be triggered to read an email account and we can act on the text in the subject line (for being able to reset an alarm from a cell phone by sending the PLC an email). If security is an issue then use the subject line for the password and the body for the text to operate on. Of course the ECOM would have to be able to support username and password to access the POP3 account and then there will be the always present firewall problems......

The ability to send a longer message with a formatted text body so the PLC can send daily email reports.

The ability to generate a ping message from ladder logic to make it easier to determine that the ethernet link is up and running. The present error method does not work if there is anything else wrong with the ethernet link (found out the hard way).

How about a new beta release of firmware for the ECOM100 to play with.

That should give you something to work with for a while.