News:

• May 17, 2024, 12:42:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: H0-ECOM100 memory retention / airport scanners  (Read 1798 times)

IbsFt

H0-ECOM100 memory retention / airport scanners
« on: June 11, 2021, 08:11:20 AM »
The plan is to have the rep bring  a pair of preprogrammed cards with him as a backup in case he has a trouble updating the existing ECOM cards in the field. The rep is not tech savvy so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible and cover as many bases as is practical. I didn't see the following questions being addressed in the manual, so maybe they are dumb questions....

How long will the card hold the IP address set using NetEdit3 if the card is removed from the PLC and put on the shelf?

Is there any chance any of the settings can be corrupted going through an airport scanner?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: H0-ECOM100 memory retention / airport scanners
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 09:59:02 AM »
"How long will the card hold the IP address set using NetEdit3 if the card is removed from the PLC and put on the shelf?"

It is stored in flash... so, practically speaking, forever.

"Is there any chance any of the settings can be corrupted going through an airport scanner?"

Of course, just like your laptop. That possibility is remote, but nonetheless real. When I traveled a lot for field service, I always backed up my laptop beforehand. The thing with ECOM100s, however, is that there are not really that many settings. And there is no way to back them up anyway. But the X-rays are not powerful enough usually to do anything as I have never had my laptop compromised by them. The dangerous part, however, is a metal detector, or a metal-detector wand that the guards carry. Those generate magnetic waves that can erase hard drives, and possibly modify data in memory.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

IbsFt

Re: H0-ECOM100 memory retention / airport scanners
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 12:14:00 PM »
Thank you for the fast response!