News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:29:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352571 times)

deep6ixed

Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »
Let me give you some examples of how this guy thinks:

1.) Spends $5000 on a custom stainless steel water header pipes and fittings for this welder. Can't use the DM because of cost issues.

2.) Installs a 2 channel estop system and instead of putting the reset on the operator console he puts it on the control cabinet, one that you have to walk around the entire machine to access when it has wire loaded in it to weld.

3.) Puts a second LOGO unit in the operators console just to act as a counter... with a display screen that after six months can't control when the machine cuts. 

4.) Speaking of automatic shearing of mesh sheets...  Finally he gets the counter section of the program working.  He can't get the shear to cut via the plc but he can make a light flash on the control panel letting you know that you need to manually push a button marked "Cut".

5.) The machine is fed from 480vac 850amp supply.  The 24vdc control power supply was fed from an extension cord through the wall to an outlet on the other side of the bay.  15 times the whole machine shut off due to someone unplugging the cord...  All the while there is a 480-120 transformer about 2ft under the power supply in the cabinet.

6.) Added 12 or so new 22mm lights to control panel, and when I asked what they were for he told me, "Nothing now, but don't worry I'll find  use for them"

This machine had 15 relays inside, and it only used 4 of them.  The wiring prints fit neatly on a 11x17 page.  Now there are 30+ relays, 2 LOGO units, 2 small HMI screens, and about half of it works.

Yeah, that's what our new sister plant does.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »
Let me give you some examples of how this guy thinks

1) I'm pretty sure 'thinks' should be quoted.

2) I saw the 12 lights thing and I thought "crap, 12 lights would pay for an HMI!", then later I saw there already were a couple.  D'oh!

Wow.  Peter principle in action.  Looks like a future customer for me.

I remember this one machine I got called on for a service call one time.  Indexing table with a press cylinder to assemble two parts, and it wasn't working consistently.  Couldn't really figure it out because no prints, no wire numbers and all the wires were black.  Started tracing out the circuits.  Find out half the wires are dead ends so can safely be ripped out.  Then find several other circuits, while not mechanically dead ended, are effectively so, because they run through both a NO and a NC on the same relay or something like that.  Can never actually carry current anywhere.  Rip THOSE out, and now the noise level is diminishing to the point that I'm starting to see what the logic is.  See there's a simpler way to do it, and rip a bunch MORE out.  End up with two photos (one with a one-shot function programmed in) driving two relays driving two air valves, the table and the press.  I could have thrown out the relays if I thought the photos would drive the valves reliably.  The machine never missed a lick after that!  This story isn't really analogous to yours, except in displaying the Peter principle at work.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2015, 07:04:20 PM »
Funny how this stuff happens and is so similar. Went on a trouble call at a fire house because the radio wasn't being triggered when a fire call came in.  They had all this electrical equipment that had been changed many times, and some of the wiring was zip cord from a lamp!  The guy who called me left the room and I reached in my toolkit for the cutters and when he returned there was a big ball of wire on the floor. He says "Oh My God! I hope you know what you are doing"  I put back about 1/10 the wiring nice and neat and it all worked as it should again.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »
"Oh My God! I hope you know what you are doing"

LOL.  My response to that was always; "It ain't working now, so how bad can I hurt it?"

deep6ixed

« Reply #394 on: October 29, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
"Oh My God! I hope you know what you are doing"

LOL.  My response to that was always; "It ain't working now, so how bad can I hurt it?"

I have heard that more than once, but once they see that there is a method to your madness, they tend to let you work.

When I redid one of our wire drawing lines, I tore every single wire out of the cabinet and loaded it into a 55 gallon drum.  The wiring left was the bundles that came from the external components like motors and the control panel.  Told him nah, come back in 72 hours and watch it run.  He told me it could never be done.

All he saw was the empty cabinet, what he didn't see was the hundreds of hours I had spent prior... Drawing up the prints, building the cabinet in AutoCad, laying out where everything would go, Etc.  Already built the terminal strips on the din rail.

Now when he sees me with that mad glean in my eye looking at our latest project, he just smiles and gets out of the way.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #395 on: November 02, 2015, 02:04:58 PM »
Could you PLEASE make it so that when I type SG into the left side of the ladder that a STAGE instruction will be entered. It drives me nuts having to arrow-keys or CTRL+W to get to the right hand side of the ladder in order to put an instruction on the left...
If it is too big of a deal then I'll try to understand...  :P
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #396 on: November 02, 2015, 02:12:09 PM »
Valid gripe. Legacy issue. Try END key.

Edit: And that is on our wish list. Not sure if it will make 2.0, but let's put it this way, we are not proud of the way it works,
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:28:04 PM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #397 on: November 02, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
....or be like me and hold out till there's a better SFC UI!   ;D
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #398 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
....or be like me and hold out till there's a better SFC UI!   ;D

Have you seen the custom comm code he writes? He ain't waiting.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #399 on: November 02, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
No I haven't, but I can imagine there are a lot of apps where it's worth it!

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #400 on: November 02, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
No I haven't, but I can imagine there are a lot of apps where it's worth it!

In spite of how bad it is, about 40% of apps use it.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #401 on: November 02, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
I'm a snob, what can I say?   :D

HB_GUY

« Reply #402 on: December 18, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
What about adding some of the IoT protocols like MQTT or the like?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2015, 08:43:48 AM »
What about adding some of the IoT protocols like MQTT or the like?

In time, sure. Pretty covered up now with the new platform, but once it's done we'll be looking at other things to do.

OrionHE

« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
The ability to set the priority flag on the email to high importance

I could have used this today, so here is my vote.