News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:30:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352571 times)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #315 on: April 15, 2015, 01:29:22 PM »
My thinking was either you get to set the time via a dialog somewhere, or it's non-configurable and runs at midnight for dailies, 12:00:00.001 Sunday morning for weeklies, 12:00:00.001 on the first for monthlies, etc.

Another thing I take into account when I do dailies is what happens if the PLC is off at the designated time (typically midnight).  It may be something you still want to run as soon as the PLC is up, so if it's one of those things, I track the date of last execution, and do the task on power up even if not at midnight.  So, how (or if) to handle that issue is something you'd have to decide.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #316 on: April 15, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »
I would like to see $daily, $weekly, $monthly functions with a selectable start time. I've had to do this for billing customers based on peak daily flows and monthly total flows.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #317 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
It would be handy for pipelines and other utility services as well as for certain data logging applications.  I could have certainly used it at my last job which required EPA record keeping.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #318 on: April 15, 2015, 08:56:20 PM »
I would like to see $daily, $weekly, $monthly functions with a selectable start time. I've had to do this for billing customers based on peak daily flows and monthly total flows.
It's not that hard to do.

For daily:
STRE $Now.Hour == DesiredDailyHour
RUN DailyProg

For Weekly:
STRE $Now.DayOfWeek == DesiredWeekDay
ANDE $Now.Hour == DesiredWeeklyHour
RUN WeeklyProg

For Monthly:
STRE $Now.Day == DesiredDay
ANDE $Now.Hour == DesiredMonthlyHour
RUN MonthlyProg

Just make sure you stick EXIT instructions inside each of the Programs when they are done doing whatever it is they need to do.

The Desired* values can be a V location (for a configurable desired time), or a Symbolic Constant or just a constant (for a fixed time).

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2015, 12:41:44 AM »
True, but the existing system tasks aren't hard to write from scratch either.  The only advantages I see to systems tasks are two: that they do save you a LITTLE work, plus they  promote an organized program.  Same logic applies to all of these, pro or con, as to the existing system tasks.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2015, 05:59:57 AM »
I can see both sides of this. But I prefer to write it myself if I need the functionality. I do like the idea of "code snipets" though. If there was a way to build an internal library for DMD that could store custom snipets as well as downloadable snipets of common tasks, this would keep the internals of DMD clean, but make it easy to get anything you wanted.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
I think the best answer is to not do these things as built-ins, but to invest time in developing reuse mechanisms. Having a template or macro system would allow you to create your own reuseable objects to exactly your specifications. If those objects happened to show up in the project tree the same way as the system tasks, the two would be virtually indistinguishable in practice.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
Siemens calls that a "library", saving custom boxes for reuse.  You can protect them or not, as desired.

I agree that having that is more valuable than some specific new system tasks.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
I dreamed of having a library back when I was actively developing code.  Shoot, I still dream of having one just to store code snippets to send to customers.   ;D ;D ;D

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
Or,  the entire library typically becomes one file, so just put the whole thing on the website and let people download it and browse the snippets.   They might find one they didn't even know they needed.  Just add functions to it when you come across good ones.   Or keep library files by types of functions.

deep6ixed

« Reply #325 on: April 17, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
Or,  the entire library typically becomes one file, so just put the whole thing on the website and let people download it and browse the snippets.   They might find one they didn't even know they needed.  Just add functions to it when you come across good ones.   Or keep library files by types of functions.

I love the idea of having a code library file up for easy download.  They say that experience is the greatest teacher, but no one ever said it had to be personal experience.  I'd be happy to see how other people do things.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #326 on: April 17, 2015, 09:02:44 AM »
We've always planned to (eventually) support a code library.  But I also like the idea here of multiple libraries, where there is a local one, and then a COMMUNITY one that EVERYONE can access via the INTERNET.  That would be cool.

We are looking to add FUNCTIONs and SUBROUTINEs in a future release (think user defined MATH functions and user defined BOX INSTRUCTIONs, aka Function Blocks).  Functions and Subroutines would make the library concept even MORE POWERFUL.  We will do Functions and Subroutines before we implement Library functionality.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #327 on: April 17, 2015, 07:24:43 PM »
What I'm picturing IS a library of custom functions and subroutines.  That's what Siemens' libraries are; just more groups of functions you can open like the native ones in the same spot you open the native ones, not a management tool for bulk code snippets.  That wouldn't be a absolutely terrible idea, but far, far less important than function block libraries.

davidbgtx

• Host be the Most
« Reply #328 on: April 21, 2015, 01:24:17 PM »
How about a "rung monitoring window" that you could copy rungs into (not necessarily sequential rungs, or even from the same task or program). Don't get me wrong data view is great, but it would be great to see the "status" of multiple rungs from different areas at once for troubleshooting.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #329 on: April 21, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »
How about a "rung monitoring window" that you could copy rungs into (not necessarily sequential rungs, or even from the same task or program). Don't get me wrong data view is great, but it would be great to see the "status" of multiple rungs from different areas at once for troubleshooting.

Good idea. These things may also be helpful:
1. Under the Window menu choose Cascade to put the ladder views into old-style MDI mode. This allows you to view multiple ladder views at once.
2. Dragging the little bar at the very top of a ladder view scroll bar will split each view into two panes, allowing you to view different areas of the same code block.
3. Right click on a rung and select Monitor Values, and there are options for automatically loading rung/instruction contents into a Data View.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO