News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:26:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352571 times)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: IP Address Setup Location
« Reply #300 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »
I would like to see the "Set Node and IP Configuration" in "System Configuration" also, even if it is just a link or pointer. It takes me forever to find it since I am looking to make a change, not get "System Info".

I know it is sort of already there in "Ethernet I/O Master" but if I'm not doing that type of system it also doesn't occur to me to look there.

(I have the same problem with HMIs hiding their Ethernet setup also, so maybe it's just me.)

It's not just you.  It took me the longest time to get used to looking in System Info cause it feels like the wrong place for the IP address.  I'd like to see it moved and or copied to System Config too.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Watermark_JS

Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #301 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »
So, I just learned an important thing about the Do-More.  The PLC memory image is not stored in the Project file!  Without going into detail, I'll just say I learned this "the hard way."  Not sure how I've never noticed it before...    :P

A discussion of my woes with AutomationDirect technical support led me to recognize the importance of the Memory Image Manager and I now have an image stored that contains all of the values that I'll need whenever I set up a new processor.

That said, I'd like to offer the following suggestions to streamline using the Memory Image Manager, based on my current understanding of how it works:
  • Given the importance of the MIM, don't hide it under Tools!  It deserves an icon -- preferably one that also functions as a visual alert if data stored in retentive ranges is "stale," similar to the System Configuration (S,P,D) icons in the Status Bar.
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always refresh all regions image during save," which would do exactly what it says.  And/Or...
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always refresh selected regions image during save," which would add a check-box to each listed region that the user could use to include/exclude auto-refresh regions.  And/Or...
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always prompt for refresh during save," which (when I save the project) would present a prompt to/not-to refresh (all or selected) regions during the save.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:23:25 PM by Watermark_JS »

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #302 on: March 24, 2015, 03:52:54 PM »
So, I just learned an important thing about the Do-More.  The PLC memory image is not stored in the Project file!  Without going into detail, I'll just say I learned this "the hard way."  Not sure how I've never noticed it before...    :P

A discussion of my woes with AutomationDirect technical support led me to recognize the importance of the Memory Image Manager and I now have an image stored that contains all of the values that I'll need whenever I set up a new processor.

That said, I'd like to offer the following suggestions to streamline using the Memory Image Manager, based on my current understanding of how it works:
  • Given the importance of the MIM, don't hide it under Tools!  It deserves an icon -- preferably one that also functions as a visual alert if data stored in retentive ranges is "stale," similar to the System Configuration (S,P,D) icons in the Status Bar.
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always refresh all regions image during save," which would do exactly what it says.  And/Or...
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always refresh selected regions image during save," which would add a check-box to each listed region that the user could use to include/exclude auto-refresh regions.  And/Or...
  • Option check-box in the MIM to "Always prompt for refresh during save," which (when I save the project) would present a prompt to/not-to refresh (all or selected) regions during the save.

Regarding the toolbar button preferences, the toolbars are completely configurable.  You can add (or remove) any command to any toolbar, including Offline and Online.

If you want to add Memory Image Manager to the Online or Offline toolbar, first create a New (empty) project or open an existing one.
1. Right click in the toolbar area.  Select Customize...
2. Hit the Commands tab
3. Select the Tools entry in the Categories list box.
4. Look for the Memory Image Manager in the Commands list.  Click on it and hold down the mouse button and drag-and-drop it onto the Offline or Online toolbar, wherever you want it to be.
5. The button text will be way too long, so right click on the dropped button (the dropped button takes on the "tooltip" name, not the "short" button name, oops!), and in the context menu, and change the "Name:" field to "Memory Mgr" (or whatever) so it doesn't take up half the screen.
6. Close the Customize dialog

Now you have your own customized toolbar with the Memory Image Manager where you want/need it!

We are planning to have the next version of Designer to have Memory Image Manager available offline, with the ability to edit bit blocks, numeric blocks, and string blocks in the MIM.

Regarding what/when we save the Memory Image, we are looking to address this, among other save/load issues in a future release.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: IP Address Setup Location
« Reply #303 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
I would like to see the "Set Node and IP Configuration" in "System Configuration" also, even if it is just a link or pointer. It takes me forever to find it since I am looking to make a change, not get "System Info".

I know it is sort of already there in "Ethernet I/O Master" but if I'm not doing that type of system it also doesn't occur to me to look there.

(I have the same problem with HMIs hiding their Ethernet setup also, so maybe it's just me.)

The simple answer is that the System Configuration isn't simply a place to set things up, it's a particular and critical part of project data. We didn't put the IP config there primarily because it isn't part of that data. If fact, originally we didn't intend for DmD to even set that up at all, NetEdit was the preferred tool...it was added late in the development, primarily as a way to fix busted a IP config via USB.

...however...

We realize that from the user's perspective System Configuration is the place that you "configure the system" and the IP configuration is part of that. We get that and are planning to add a link to the CPU page. It will be in 1.4.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:02:27 PM by BobO »
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #304 on: March 24, 2015, 05:10:33 PM »

MIM was added fairly late in the development and isn't nearly as straightforward as reading or writing the memory in fixed memory map units like DL PLCs. MIM was our first shot at answering the basic problem of saving and restoring retentive memory, and while at its core it works pretty well, the level of integration is poor. We know and we're sorry. As was already mentioned, we do have new features due out soon, and we have already discussed plans to greatly improve the integration. We will definitely consider your suggestions, and one way or the other, we will make it easier to control when the memory image is read or written.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Watermark_JS

« Reply #305 on: March 24, 2015, 06:33:31 PM »
We will definitely consider your suggestions, and one way or the other, we will make it easier to control when the memory image is read or written.

Thanks!  Your dedication to supporting the user community is sincerely appreciated! 

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #306 on: March 24, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
Don't overlook my requests for new/improved string manipulation, in more detail as requested by franj1.  I made a couple comments in a row, and the second post rolled over to a new page, so please have a look at the previous one at the bottom of the previous page when you get a chance.  Thanks!
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:29 PM »
Replace could easily happen. Extending the scripting could happen. Nesting is harder.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2015, 10:14:55 PM »
Very cool!  Can you go into more detail on what enhancements are feasible and where the line is between that and nesting?  Thanks!

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
Nesting requires some form of stack. A stack of strings is hard. Any script function that doesn't require a stack is manageable.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2015, 10:44:21 PM »
Gotcha -- thanks!   :)

ref01

« Reply #311 on: April 04, 2015, 04:50:07 PM »
My project has been using the Do-More for about two years now, as the lead programmer, I am very happy with all the features of the Do-More Platform. 

The only features I would recommend adding / changing:

-Configuration of the Closed Loop controller.  In DirectSoft, there seems to be many more options for configuring the parameters associated with the closed loop controller.  The primary one I see missing is the selection of Data Formats – Unipolar / Bipolar.  Most of the closed loops we use control levels above and below a set-point. 
I would like to see the ability to select unipolar / bipolar data formats for the different parameters of the Closed Loop Controller.
Password Protection, is it possible to increase the password length to 14 or 15 characters?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #312 on: April 04, 2015, 11:52:08 PM »
My project has been using the Do-More for about two years now, as the lead programmer, I am very happy with all the features of the Do-More Platform. 

The only features I would recommend adding / changing:

-Configuration of the Closed Loop controller.  In DirectSoft, there seems to be many more options for configuring the parameters associated with the closed loop controller.  The primary one I see missing is the selection of Data Formats – Unipolar / Bipolar.  Most of the closed loops we use control levels above and below a set-point. 
I would like to see the ability to select unipolar / bipolar data formats for the different parameters of the Closed Loop Controller.
Password Protection, is it possible to increase the password length to 14 or 15 characters?

All loops are bipolar. The bipolar/unipolar configuration isn't for the loop, it is for interpreting the analog input, since the loop code handles that directly in DL. In Do-more, any tweaking of the analog input can be handled outside the loop, and is generally not required at all. The only case I am aware of is if the input is 16 bit unsigned, you have to cast the WX to unsigned using :U.

The passwords would be fairly hard to change at this point.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #313 on: April 15, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »
Seems like it would be convenient to have systems tasks $Daily, $Weekly, $Monthly, and so on.  Not hard to do now, but it would bring the same level of convenience and organization that's available now for $TopOfScan, $BottomOfScan, and so on.

I certainly do this often for Once-A-Day tasks now, and could see some wanting weekly, monthly, and so on.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #314 on: April 15, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »
The main issue that I could see with those types of tasks would be; "When?"

Do they fire off at Midnight?  Sometime randomly during the day?  Do you get to set a time?