News:

• May 17, 2024, 03:30:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 352571 times)

Mike Nash

Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #285 on: November 10, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
1) I mentioned this elsewhere in passing, but I would like to see if it is doable as a feature request. In Rockwell stuff, where a colon is required, the software allows you to type a semicolon instead and it converts it for you to a colon. I would really like to see this in the Do-more Designer also as shifting to get to the colon is really a pain. (I know C programmers get to do it all the time - it is why I preferred BASIC (I don't speak punctuation very well.))

2) An issue I was noticing relating to starting a new rung with a normally open contact by simply typing the address was giving me issues today. When typing HR50:1, DmD was omitting the R. It only seems to happen at the start of a rung if the instruction type is not selected first. I had the same problem with IR113:1 - again R, but not as often. It could be my computer is old and slow. The program was over 200 rungs when this started giving me issues. Cut and paste was really slow at that point too. It seemed that it was ignoring the keyboard buffer while it inserted the NO contact. Win XP on Pentium 4 2.4 GHz 1 GB RAM, piddly old AGP video card. It only does it when I'm not watching for it (how do they do that?)

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:25 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the semicolon conversion...not because I am opposed to helping those who are punctuationally challenged...but because by converting, you are essentially giving up the possibility of ever using the semicolon for an operator. It actually would be pretty simple.

I suspect that the dropped character is a slow PC thing. We start the edit operation on the first character...which is forwarded to the editor. All subsequent characters go to the editor window itself. If that takes more time than your character spacing, I could easily see it getting dropped. I realize it may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but we made a conscious decision to develop DmD for more modern PCs, choosing to do some things to make it better, knowing that it may not run well on older machines.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2014, 10:44:23 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the semicolon conversion...not because I am opposed to helping those who are punctuationally challenged...but because by converting, you are essentially giving up the possibility of ever using the semicolon for an operator. It actually would be pretty simple.

Nah, you wouldn't want to do that, it's too hard to tell them apart. My stupid "smart" phone has a semicolon on the keyboard, but you have to go to a menu to get the colon - DUH, nobody would need a colon for time or anything I reckon. But now that semicolon... what good is that thing anyway? I never could figure out when to use it.

I suspect that the dropped character is a slow PC thing. We start the edit operation on the first character...which is forwarded to the editor. All subsequent characters go to the editor window itself. If that takes more time than your character spacing, I could easily see it getting dropped. I realize it may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but we made a conscious decision to develop DmD for more modern PCs, choosing to do some things to make it better, knowing that it may not run well on older machines.

Yeah, but I'm attached you know? I am going to have to break down and get a wide screen monitor though.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
Yeah, but I'm attached you know? I am going to have to break down and get a wide screen monitor though.

Come on...I give you free software. Take the $400 I saved you and drop it on a state-of-the-art three-year-old clearance PC. It'll be 20x faster and come loaded with a plethora of useless bloat-ware. Bonus! ;)
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Mike Nash

« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
All true, but this is my home computer (and upgrades here come out of my pocket.  :)
The work machine is a bit faster. And has the big monitor. And distractions I don't have at home.  ;D

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
But now that semicolon... what good is that thing anyway? I never could figure out when to use it.

When you write a sentence containing two or more clauses, separate them with semi-colons.  (A clause is a phrase containing a subject and predicate.  It could stand on its own as a sentence, but sometimes you want to put two closely related thoughts together in the same sentence.)

So:  We had to hike to the gas station; our car ran out of gas.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #291 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »
New feature request:
Could we have the ability to access the raw bytes of a string?

Example:

MATH
Result: SS2:B[V2}
Expression: SS12:B4+D16

Or

MATH
Result: SS[V1]:B[V2}
Expression: SS2:B4+12

Or
Comparative contact:
SL3:B2 >= 12

Maybe their is more to it than I realize, but it seems this data is already there, I am just not allowed to reach out and get it.

I realize that I can use STRGETB, but then I have a stack of instructions to do one simple job...
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #292 on: December 09, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
Very hard, for reasons I won't bore you with...but...we could easily add MATH box functions to crack/cast strings that could do the things you are wanting, at least on the right side of the equation. Unfortunately the left side is a very hard thing...

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #293 on: December 09, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
That will be a big help. STRPUTB should be sufficient to finish the job.
Thanks!
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

Watermark_JS

« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »
It would be nice if open programs/tasks could be set to auto-sort left-to-right, in order of execution, similar to the Project Browser.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
It would be nice if open programs/tasks could be set to auto-sort left-to-right, in order of execution, similar to the Project Browser.
Nice idea.  We'll put it in our "potential feature" database!

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2015, 01:44:55 AM »
1.  Search and replace function for strings, with multiple matches/replacements per string.  Wildcards in the search string would be nice too.

2.  More complex, nested string expressions, similar to what you can do numerically in a MATH box.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »
1.  Search and replace function for strings, with multiple matches/replacements per string.  Wildcards in the search string would be nice too.

2.  More complex, nested string expressions, similar to what you can do numerically in a MATH box.
Can you give some examples of each these?

Mike Nash

IP Address Setup Location
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
I would like to see the "Set Node and IP Configuration" in "System Configuration" also, even if it is just a link or pointer. It takes me forever to find it since I am looking to make a change, not get "System Info".

I know it is sort of already there in "Ethernet I/O Master" but if I'm not doing that type of system it also doesn't occur to me to look there.

(I have the same problem with HMIs hiding their Ethernet setup also, so maybe it's just me.)

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #299 on: March 24, 2015, 01:18:14 PM »
1.  Search and replace function for strings, with multiple matches/replacements per string.  Wildcards in the search string would be nice too.

2.  More complex, nested string expressions, similar to what you can do numerically in a MATH box.
Can you give some examples of each these?

1.  Assume SS0 = "12345678901234567890".  Then a STRREP function such that STRREP SS0 "1" "AA" returns "AA234567890AA234567890" and can be assigned to SS0 or SL1 or whatever.  I originally got the idea while trying to replace NULLs (ASCII 0x00) with spaces.  However, I came to think that maybe replacing NULLs is a special case for two reasons.  They may give your C-based searches grief, and second, because 0x00 may be the default for unused character positions in the string.  Thus, the specific case of NULL replacement might be better addressed by a STRPAD function (pad with so many of a specified character, or pad to some specified total string length).

2. In the same scenario mentioned above, I did a STRTRIM to get rid of the NULLs, followed by appending enough spaces to fill out the string to the allocated length (not the string .MaxLen) using STRPRINT, then STRTRUNC to the desired length.  Kind of roundabout.

STRPRINT now essentially takes a list of discrete items and smashes them into the string, with or without intervening spaces, while allowing for some printf style formatting functions.  I'm asking for STRPRINT to take

STRTRUNC(STRTRIM(SS0) + STRFILL(" ", 20), 20)

or even

STRTRIM(SS0) + STRFILL(" ", 20 - SS0.Length)

and the like as its expression.  (My STRPAD function could also be used here, this is just an example of the more complex expressions I'm asking for)  That way you could get a lot done in one shot.  Analogous to how a MATH box replaces a stack of 6 individual instruction boxes like ADD and MUL.

*Note that STRFILL() function to generate in an expression a string containing repeats of a specific character or substring.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:30:05 PM by Controls Guy »