News:

• May 03, 2024, 05:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bug fix request - can't connect to PLC  (Read 873 times)

effgee

bug fix request - can't connect to PLC
« on: May 13, 2020, 11:20:11 PM »
I lost over an hour of my time yesterday due to this.

I've used half a dozen BRX cpu's for projects over the last 18 months. In general they're great, and the Do-more software has been super easy to learn.

But yesterday, when trying to connect to my PLC for the first download of code on a new project, I got stumped. I was able to set the IP address of the cpu (192.168.3.152), and to ping it from my laptop (manually set to 192.168.3.3). The issue is that the Create new Connection (Link) wizard filters out the fixed IP address of my laptop and only offers the secondary/'zero config' address (169.254.89.187) (refer attachments). I rang my local reseller, who effectively fobbed me off saying its a Windows 10 problem, but this doesn't make sense to me. It also didn't make sense when he suggested that my choice of the .3 address was 'too close to the router', no surprise that changing it to .99 made no difference. I've connected to identical BRX's on the same network in the past, albeit with earlier versions of DoMore. My workaround was to pull out my older Win7 laptop and install DoMore 2.7.4

My logic is that NetEdit3 correctly offers 2 virtual adaptors for my wired NIC, one for the assigned fixed IP address, and one for the 169.254 address. So if 'create new connection' worked the same, it would just work. Or if a connection could be created directly from NetEdit3 (right-click on the PLC once visible, and choose 'create new link' ?)

result of ipconfig:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a529:6296:3504:f0%4
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.3.3
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.89.187
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

brucek

Re: bug fix request - can't connect to PLC
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:56:24 AM »
Not sure if this will work for you or not but i have never used the wizard. If you set the address then it sounds like Net edit worked.

I do it manually by clicking Find My PLC button. Then in the lower left corner i click Link Editor. Select the family and type then click port tab, Ethernet, Click the IP on the right and enter the address. Then somewhere in there give it a name and/or Description. To each their own but this works for me and probably since Directsoft days this is how it was done.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:34:05 AM »
Designer and NetEdit only look at the first IP configuration of a specific network card.  It does not iterate through the multiple network configurations on a specific network card.  They do iterate all the various network cards.

The 169.x.x.x is for use when there is "no network".  Not sure how you can eliminate that from that one network card (I'm not a Windows guru), but the other address/subnet on that same network card seems quite valid and should work.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 01:05:07 PM »
Actually the APIPA address (169.254.x.x) is used when there is no DHCP server or an IP address has not been manually defined.   It is designed as a failover system so that a host is able to get to a machine when there is no other method.  It is not meant for normal networking situations.

effgee

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 03:37:14 PM »
Designer and NetEdit only look at the first IP configuration of a specific network card.  It does not iterate through the multiple network configurations on a specific network card. 

My screenshot would suggest otherwise for Netedit (which is a good thing).
Both screenshots were taken one after another, no network changes or cables plugged/unplugged.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 04:06:21 PM »
We will look at it.

effgee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
thanks, I appreciate it.