News:

• May 03, 2024, 10:20:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 985 times)

RBPLC

Feature Request
« on: May 10, 2020, 07:49:10 AM »
Description column for UDT elements similar to field available in Documentation.

johnr

Re: Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
I second that request!

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
So implied Descriptions.  You can override them in the Doc Editor if you fill out the form.  But basically if the Doc record is empty, show the UDT Description in lieu of the empty doc record Description field.

We already do something like that with I/O and Extra Info Doc field.  If there is no Extra Info field for a specific I/O record (e.g. X, Y, WX, WY, RX, RY), we fill it an implicit Extra Info detail showing the module position, (see attached screen shot)

johnr

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:32:50 AM »
Right, that's how I'm imagining it would work, now extend that type of behavior to the UDT element level.  I want to provide extended descriptive information about each element once, and then, if so defined, have it carry through by default to each instance of a UDT element being used.  The description of any particular element for any particular block index could be overriden as needed.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
Right, that's how I'm imagining it would work, now extend that type of behavior to the UDT element level.  I want to provide extended descriptive information about each element once, and then, if so defined, have it carry through by default to each instance of a UDT element being used.  The description of any particular element for any particular block index could be overriden as needed.

Extra Info and/or Description?  I could see sticking Engineering Units (e.g. ft/sec, degF) in the smaller Extra Info field without burning a whole Description field (Extra Info is 1 row of 16 characters, Description is 6x16), but I could also see filling in the Description field with details (more than 16 characters).

johnr

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
My own preference is the Description field, I don't use Extra info as often and if I do it's usually for wiring detail which wouldn't usually apply to UDT values.  OTOH if you decide this is worth doing and it's really not much more difficult to add both fields, I'm sure there are people that would use them.

One issue I see in implementing this is on the UDT UI main dialog screen that has the list box of all the elements.  Assuming that this is where one would go to enter default descriptions, I'd really like to see new column(s) there for the additional fields, but then there are potential issues on low-res monitors with the default UI dialog window size getting too wide in order to see all the columns.  The UDT UI main dialog is sizable, so maybe save user preference of UDT dialog window size with the project?

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
The UDT UI main dialog is sizable, so maybe save user preference of UDT dialog window size with the project?

Everything is resizable, so saving/restoring the size/columns would work.