News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AXGEAR Oscillation/Instability  (Read 5959 times)

Mike Nash

Re: AXGEAR Oscillation/Instability
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 04:16:31 PM »
The AXFOLLOW is here: http://forum.hosteng.com/index.php/topic,1978.0.html
but I admit to not remembering exactly why I didn't think it was going to work well. After I found AXGEAR looked good, I got really busy and haven't had to time to play with it much since. I'll try it again.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: AXGEAR Oscillation/Instability
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
I could probably handle an accel/decel curve at the pause/reversal, but the AXGEAR looked like it started losing track of master counts which was making the follower position move outside of it's prescribed travel limits.

Any change to the gear ratio can do that. It's inherent to changing the gear ratio. We do things to mitigate it, but that's what you're bumping into. AXGEAR is fundamentally a velocity relationship. It's built on a function that uses position, which is what the re-normalization process is designed to work around.

AXFOLLOW is position-based. That may not help you either, but it doesn't lose position but neither can it change gear ratio.

I can't help by think you might need a combination of these instructions. Rather than yanking the ratio around, explicitly build the behavior with states, maybe a combination of AXCAM and some moves.

At the very least you are outside the design intent. That limits my options.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO