News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:57:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do-More Remote I/O vs ERM  (Read 4868 times)

sgsims

Do-More Remote I/O vs ERM
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
I am using an H2-DM1E CPU with a Terminator Remote I/O network.  The last terminator I/O I used was with the DL260 using the ERM card so I mistakenly purchased an ERM card to create my remote I/O network.  It looks like a much better solution would be to use the Ethernet Port on the H2-DM1E CPU and create a "Do-More Remote I/O Network".  All good with that...but had a question about the use of the ethernet port on the H2-DM1E CPU for other comms besides the "Do-More Remote I/O"

Can I connect the Do-More CPU's Ethernet port to a switch then hang both my Terminator I/O remote bases and other things like a third party TCP/IP device?  More specifically an EWON COSY Remote VPN?  I guess my real question is can the built in ethernet port on the H2-DM1E support both the nateive DO-More remote I/O and other TCP/IP devices simultaneously...or is it a case of when I use the on board ethernet port for Do-More remote I/O I can't use it for anything else.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
Re: Do-More Remote I/O vs ERM
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:53:01 AM »
I believe that you can do both with the on-board port, but the comm speeds will be affected by it. I am currently installing a system with custom tcp comms as well as remote io, and so I have installed an ERM to alleviate comm lags. It will also get an ECOM100 if I end up adding an Ethernet HMI.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »
You can do both, but it can increase the number of retries. If you are comfortable with slight delays in remote I/O updates, it's fine.

Another approach is to use Do-more's Ethernet port for I/O and add an ECOM100 for programming and HMI.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

sgsims

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
Or could I use the onboard ethernet port for programming and HMI then use the ERM I have in the rack for remote I/O.

sgsims

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
So I found an unopend H2-Ecom100 that was on my shelf that I had purchased afew years back for a DL260 CPU.  Should I just remove the ERM and use the built-in ethernet port on the Do More CPU for the Do more remote I/O network...then install the H2-Ecom100 and use that for my third party remote VPN product?

I'm assuming that the H2-Ecom100 will work with the Do-More plateform even though I bought it 4 years ago for the Directsoft platform.  Maybee a firmware upgrade wil be required.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
So I found an unopend H2-Ecom100 that was on my shelf that I had purchased afew years back for a DL260 CPU.  Should I just remove the ERM and use the built-in ethernet port on the Do More CPU for the Do more remote I/O network...then install the H2-Ecom100 and use that for my third party remote VPN product?

I'm assuming that the H2-Ecom100 will work with the Do-More plateform even though I bought it 4 years ago for the Directsoft platform.  Maybee a firmware upgrade wil be required.

That's the way I would do it. Remote I/O through the ERM is mapped; remote I/O through Do-more's port is native I/O and much more tightly integrated. The only caveat is if you need some of Do-more's Ethernet functions are that not supported through the ECOM100...EMAIL, custom protocol, etc.

Yes, the ECOM100 will work fine once upgraded.

Do-more Remote I/O only works on EBC100s with up-to-date firmware.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
Please use a separate device to communicate with your remote I/O. Never put remote I/O on same ethernet port as the HMI or Programming, etc. Sorry, I just feel so strongly about that. It is unsafe. If something was to crash the network someone could get hurt if you lost the comms to the I/O. I do program for that situation, but I seen others not do much in the "what if" area. I think I spend more time doing the "What If's" then the actual program. I get people to operate the machine and see if they can mess it up before I release it. And they do! I even mess with the remote I/O to make sure the machine will shut down properly if it is lost.
Just be safe. I deal with some heavy duty machinery and someone could get seriously hurt.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
The last terminator I/O I used was with the DL260 using the ERM card so I mistakenly purchased an ERM card to create my remote I/O network.  It looks like a much better solution would be to use the Ethernet Port on the H2-DM1E CPU and create a "Do-More Remote I/O Network".  All good with that...but had a question about the use of the ethernet port on the H2-DM1E CPU for other comms besides the "Do-More Remote I/O"

ADC has a pretty much no-questions-asked return policy within 30 days.  I also prefer the idea of using the DM onboard port for I/O and an ECOM for HMI and programming.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:49 AM »
Please use a separate device to communicate with your remote I/O. Never put remote I/O on same ethernet port as the HMI or Programming, etc. Sorry, I just feel so strongly about that. It is unsafe. If something was to crash the network someone could get hurt if you lost the comms to the I/O. I do program for that situation, but I seen others not do much in the "what if" area. I think I spend more time doing the "What If's" then the actual program. I get people to operate the machine and see if they can mess it up before I release it. And they do! I even mess with the remote I/O to make sure the machine will shut down properly if it is lost.
Just be safe. I deal with some heavy duty machinery and someone could get seriously hurt.

I agree with the sentiment that segregation is best, but I'm not sure agree with the statement that it is unsafe to have other traffic on the same port. If a communications failure creates an unsafe condition, I have questions about the machine design. The Do-more engine is quite finicky about the connection to its remote I/O, and if it stumbles beyond whatever you configure to be acceptable, it will drop into program and shut off all outputs. If that behavior is unsafe, then I fear the the overall machine design is unsafe.

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:53 AM »
Sorry Bobo, I was not saying the Do_More is not stable by any means. It was just a general statement having many things on one ethernet port. One could crash it. Sorry if you took it that I was trashing the Do-More. I love the Do-More!

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 01:19:56 PM »
Sorry Bobo, I was not saying the Do_More is not stable by any means. It was just a general statement having many things on one ethernet port. One could crash it. Sorry if you took it that I was trashing the Do-More. I love the Do-More!

I didn't take it that way. I just view comm errors as expected and feel like the machine should be designed to handle them.