News:

• May 18, 2024, 01:02:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Codesys on BRX hardware?  (Read 1163 times)

bgarnett

Codesys on BRX hardware?
« on: February 06, 2024, 06:42:46 PM »
Hey Guys- saw Automationdirect rlsd a codesys version but its not a format like yours (has base, io modules remove).

Any chance you are coming out with codesys/iec61131 solution?

Would use you guys but ladder ain't cutting it for some of my more advanced stuff.

thx

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Codesys on BRX hardware?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 01:50:29 PM »
Hey Guys- saw Automationdirect rlsd a codesys version but its not a format like yours (has base, io modules remove).

Any chance you are coming out with codesys/iec61131 solution?

Would use you guys but ladder ain't cutting it for some of my more advanced stuff.

thx

We have talked about it several times in the past, but haven't moved on it. Do-more ladder is quite a bit more capable than many ladder implementations so we haven't felt like it was as big a need. We do have plans to add some form of textual language and have done some prototyping on it, but no specific schedule for release.

Now that ADC has released some products with IEC, we will be watching to see how well received they are. If they take off, we will likely do something like CoDeSys, but not until it's clear that there is a market for it.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jwbaker3

Re: Codesys on BRX hardware?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 12:19:17 PM »
Please NOT CoDeSy! That stuff is a pain to program. It is garbage as far as I'm concerned. Don't ask I'll tell you what I really think about the IEC the programming languages. If you make it so I can turn it off and use the ladder that you have now (which is better than most) go for it! AB's Connected Components and the Schneider/Modicon's SoMachine/EcoStruxure are both CoDeSy based. (their base models with the least capability) It take 2 times longer to program than any other programming software we use, I will upgrade the processor on some projects so we don't have to use it. It's less cost to the customer to upgrade the hardware than to pay the additional labor cost to program it. Add Function Block or Structured text programing languages to the DoMore if you need/want a higher level language. If we have a project going to Europe we use Siemens hardware, Asia we use Omron or LS systems unless the customer specifies another brand. Again PLEASE not the IEC stuff, I would guess 80% or more of your market is in the USA, WHY would you want to make 80% mad to please the 20%, leave making programmers mad to AB and Schneider/Modicon! Be the light of Sanity in this crazy automation world!

JW