News:

• May 18, 2024, 02:14:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would this be in the future for the Do-More?  (Read 2600 times)

jrayb

Would this be in the future for the Do-More?
« on: February 24, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
I see that Click now offers a Plus PLC that has WiFi connectability. Will this be in the future for the Do-More?

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: Would this be in the future for the Do-More?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:06:55 PM »
Yes, on BRX. It will most likely happen as a Wifi capable POM.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

jrayb

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:24 PM »
That's awesome!! Any idea on the timeframe?

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 01:29:05 PM »

Which seems by far the most desirable way to implement it.

Maybe consider a Bluetooth one as well.   New ABB drives are coming with an optional Bluetooth compatible keypad so you can do setup walking around on your phone.   But same deal, it's an accessory add-on to the main device, not built right in.   I think that's the right way to go.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 01:38:10 PM »
That's awesome!! Any idea on the timeframe?

Current POM priority is some SCADA/HMI connectivity options. We'll take a look at it after those are closer to complete. We reviewed the available hardware solutions back some time ago, and there were decent options, but it is a rapidly moving technology. I would expect better options now, and yes, I would expect BlueTooth to be something we look into at the same time.

I like the POM approach because air gap (and off-the-air) will always be the best security option. Use it while commissioning, then remove if you prefer.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 05:40:29 PM »
I like the POM approach because air gap (and off-the-air) will always be the best security option. Use it while commissioning, then remove if you prefer.

Excellent point.  My partner and I both have Ethernet POM's for programming on BRXs where we don't want to ship am Ethernet port, plus I used to carry H0 & H2 ECOM's as programming tools as well.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Bolt

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 02:56:24 PM »
Current POM priority is some SCADA/HMI connectivity options. We'll take a look at it after those are closer to complete. We reviewed the available hardware solutions back some time ago, and there were decent options, but it is a rapidly moving technology. I would expect better options now, and yes, I would expect BlueTooth to be something we look into at the same time.

Any update you could give on a possible Bluetooth POM?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 03:33:30 PM »
Any update you could give on a possible Bluetooth POM?

We built a prototype of a WiFi POM. It may have BT capability, but we haven't really dug into it. What specifically are you hoping for?

Bolt

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 03:44:04 PM »
We built a prototype of a WiFi POM. It may have BT capability, but we haven't really dug into it. What specifically are you hoping for?

To replicate/emulate an existing SPP over Bluetooth application. Effectively a serial streaming device sending data to a consumer device.

jwbaker3

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2024, 10:50:17 AM »
Yaskawa on the newer drives also have bluetooth that will hook up to a phone app and allow you to store the programming to the cloud. The app is nice it allows you to program the drive with your phone and has the manuals and troubleshooting tools for the drives. I am not sure I would want to control the drive over bluetooth/wifi, that would require some reliability testing before I would leave it for a customer. I'm old so I like copper or fiber for controlling devices, but for programming it is great. I was going to say Ethernet I/P not devicenet, controlnet, or serial but they have paid for cars, houses and kids college and still are so I can't complain too much.

JW