News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:55:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions about BRX?  (Read 33597 times)

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Questions about BRX?
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:54:30 AM »
Most of y'all aren't shy, but if anyone has any questions about BRX they are afraid to ask, don't be! We'd love to hear from you!
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

• Host be the Most
Re: Questions about BRX?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
Will BRX cause the death of the 205 line?

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 02:27:11 PM »
Will BRX cause the death of the 205 line?

Nothing would please me more, but sadly no. ADC is still selling more DL305 hardware than they want to, DL205 isn't going anywhere for a long time.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

davidbgtx

• Host be the Most
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »
Whew, I sigh with relief. Nothing against the BRX, in fact I will probably purchase for new projects. I am in the process of changing out around 30 ThinkNDo CPU's with Do-More and can't afford to change all the rack hardware out for BRX.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
Out with TnD, in with Do-More.   Now THERE'S a change I can get behind!
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
The 305 plcs were used in gas stations to control the pumps I had been told. So there are a lot of them around. When someone questions AD over AB it is great to be able to say AD still supports a processor archetecture that old.

boardmaker

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 08:20:00 AM »
I still have a handful of old 305's.  It blows my mind that I can still get new replacement.

Btw. Really enjoy the Domore.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »

It could be called Think-n-Do-more!  ;D

OK, maybe not.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 04:59:16 PM »

It could be called Think-n-Do-more!  ;D

OK, maybe not.

Or Think-n-Do-more-instead...

Garyhlucas

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
I built a 4 axis stepper driven sampler from a chinese engraving machine. The fourth axis runs a peristaltic pump to collect the sample. The other axis position a dosing tube over one of 144 test tubes and the drain pipe between samples. I wanted it to operate without a PC at a job site so I used a $200 standalone CNC controller programmed in G-code. It actaully works  very well and has run 24/7 for about 4 months pulling a sample once an hour. Could I do this with a BRX instead? There is no need for more than one axis to run at a time, and it doesn't need to be fast. The advantage would in making it much more user friendly than the G-code allows. How simple can this be? I would also need a very minimal HMI to set spacing of tubes, start time, tine between samples etc. I ask because this might become a product for us. Our alternatives currently are $12,000 or $40,000!

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:44:59 PM »
I built a 4 axis stepper driven sampler from a chinese engraving machine. The fourth axis runs a peristaltic pump to collect the sample. The other axis position a dosing tube over one of 144 test tubes and the drain pipe between samples. I wanted it to operate without a PC at a job site so I used a $200 standalone CNC controller programmed in G-code. It actaully works  very well and has run 24/7 for about 4 months pulling a sample once an hour. Could I do this with a BRX instead? There is no need for more than one axis to run at a time, and it doesn't need to be fast. The advantage would in making it much more user friendly than the G-code allows. How simple can this be? I would also need a very minimal HMI to set spacing of tubes, start time, tine between samples etc. I ask because this might become a product for us. Our alternatives currently are $12,000 or $40,000!

BRX can easily do 3 axes in a single PLC. Since we don't have an axis expansion module yet, to go beyond 3 you would have to use a second PLC, but that would still be pretty cost effective with BRX. But the short answer is, yes, BRX could easily do what you need.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »
Bob,
That's very good. In the case of the pump there is no position to maintain. We simply run it forwards for a period to flush the hose, back up a small amount to suck back the droplet on the end, dispense a few revolutions, suck everything back to the sample point for a while. So how fast could we pulse an output when we are not even moving the other 3 axis?

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 05:38:12 PM »
I think it's 250KHz.  Plenty fast, anyway.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
Bob,
That's very good. In the case of the pump there is no position to maintain. We simply run it forwards for a period to flush the hose, back up a small amount to suck back the droplet on the end, dispense a few revolutions, suck everything back to the sample point for a while. So how fast could we pulse an output when we are not even moving the other 3 axis?

Fast outputs are 250k, I wanna think slow outputs are about 4ms, or 250hz. Depending on CPU model, you could have as many as 8 fast outputs. For simple pulsing with no position, you could either use a PWM channel or a timed interrupt. I'm certain there is an answer.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 08:15:48 PM »
Thanks,
That sounds completely workable.