News:

• April 16, 2024, 01:22:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MB-Gateways and Windows 7  (Read 8089 times)

bburley

MB-Gateways and Windows 7
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:18 AM »
Hey there,

I sent an email question as well, but we are transitioning to the MB from a B&B unit. We are having trouble interfacing with this gateway with Windows 7 OS, but no problems with XP. What is the solution here? Is it our system or are there changes to netedit or other to resolve? Thanks

MikeS

• Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
Re: MB-Gateways and Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »
the most glaring distinction between WinXP and Win7 is that Win7 does not support IPX protocol, you must use TCP/IP protocol. This means that the MB-Gateway needs to have an IP address assigned to it like all other devices on the network.

Can you elaborate on the 'having trouble interfacing this gateway with Windows 7': are you having trouble with the initial configuration using NetEdit and the Web Config pages? or did you get past that and are having trouble getting it to work with your modbus master software running on the Win 7 PC?
Good design costs a lot. Bad design costs even more.

bburley

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:23 AM »
Your response clarifies things for me I think. We have trouble making initial contact with the MB-gateway. Once I bring out an XP machine and use netedit to give the unit an IP address it appears that we can communicate with the gateway with windows 7. Is there anyway to take a 'default' out of the box MB gateway and give it an IP address with Windows 7? THANKS

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:31:28 PM »
NetEdit3 on Win7 should see the out-of-box (no TCP/IP address yet) MB-GATEWAY using TCP/IP protocol button at the top. If it doesn't this is most likely either:

1. Windows firewall blocking NetEdit3 (so make an exception) and/or run NetEdit3 as Administrator (right-click on NetEdit3.EXE, select Run As Admin).
2. There is more than one NIC (Ethernet interface card) on your PC. Disable the ones not being used, or reprioritize the one you are using to the top of the list.

There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

bburley

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:13:06 AM »
Thanks guys,
It'll be next week before we have new gateways to test, or I may be able to reset our current batch and test them out. I'll let you know if we have any issues following your advice....