News:

• March 29, 2024, 01:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New features wanted!! Apply here!  (Read 344475 times)

Mike Nash

Re: New features wanted!! Apply here!
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2016, 01:47:06 PM »
The ability to set the priority flag on the email to high importance

I could have used this today, so here is my vote.

Somehow I'm doubting thinking a feature that only gets requested every 8 1/2 years may not get too high a priority.

Poor pun I know, but I didn't even intend it.

;D

Grammar Edit
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 02:02:57 PM by Mike Nash »

OrionHE

« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »
Are there good puns? :)

I didn't even see how old that post is (older than my daughter, and she's in second grade). I just searched the site for "email priority" and piggy-backed. I imagine it would take adding a checkbox that adds the priority or importance value to the email header. I know it's not difficult to implement, and must be low on the to-do list, but maybe my mention of it will be the last straw. Or maybe it was your mention of it that was the last straw. Hmmm...

PLCGuy

• Internal Dev
« Reply #407 on: September 08, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
PLCNUT just was reading through this thread. Yea, why when I type SG for a stage, it doesn't happen? I see they are going to "fix" it. I have to always do the F7 then type in SG then select SG. So from reading the thread, that is not how it should work?

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #408 on: September 08, 2016, 01:35:26 PM »
PLCNUT just was reading through this thread. Yea, why when I type SG for a stage, it doesn't happen? I see they are going to "fix" it. I have to always do the F7 then type in SG then select SG. So from reading the thread, that is not how it should work?

SG works fine for stages, you just have to type in on the output rail. We would like to eventually edit stages on the power rail.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

TGibbs

« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
Have you guys ever thought about making the instructions "drag and drop"?. I know lots of times I get an instruction in the wrong place on a rung and it would be nice if I could just drag it to where I want.

OrionHE

« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2017, 01:21:33 PM »
Have you guys ever thought about making the instructions "drag and drop"?. I know lots of times I get an instruction in the wrong place on a rung and it would be nice if I could just drag it to where I want.

Welcome! This would be a great feature. Surely there is a GUI programmer itching to implement this.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #411 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Yup, that's sweet on those environments that have it, whether for typos on original entry, or sometimes for logic changes.  I also really like AB's and Siemens' address dragging.  If you click on a NO contact for example, and drag it, you get the instruction and the address both.  If you click on the address and drag it, it will just copy the address only to some other target location.  One think I think is off with Siemens' implementation, though, is too tight adherence to Windows conventions.  If you click and drag an address, without also hitting Ctrl, it will MOVE the address rather than copying it, which adheres to Windows UI conventions, but is dumb, because copying in that context is much more common than moving, and PLC guys are used to the platforms that don't do it that way, and forget to press Ctrl.   ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:35:31 PM by Controls Guy »
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #412 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
A mouse friendly editor has been on the wish list for longer than I want to admit. The Do-more controllers themselves became so much of the focus, the long planned editor overhaul has just kept getting pushed. There are a number of slightly embarrassing things in DmD (no drag and drop, no true undo/redo, 16 character names, etc) that we really want to fix, and once BRX gets solid, we'll be able to move back to working on those things.

I think we added single instruction copy/paste in 1.4, so it's a little easier to get it moved. Ctrl^C on the instruction and Ctrl^V where you want to put it, then Delete the original.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

OrionHE

« Reply #413 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »
Yup, that's sweet on those environments that have it, whether for typos on original entry, or sometimes for logic changes.  I also really like AB's and Siemens' address dragging.  If you click on a NO contact for example, and drag it, you get the instruction and the address both.  If you click on the address and drag it, it will just copy the address only to some other target location.  One think I think of off with Siemens' implementation, though, is too tight adherence to Windows conventions.  If you click and drag an address, without also hitting Ctrl, it will MOVE the address rather than copying it, which adheres to Windows UI conventions, but is dumb, because copying in that context is much more common than moving, and PLC guys are used to the platforms that don't do it that way, and forget to press Ctrl.   ;)

Fortunately there is another windows convention Ctrl-Z. :)

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »
I think we added single instruction copy/paste in 1.4, so it's a little easier to get it moved. Ctrl^C on the instruction and Ctrl^V where you want to put it, then Delete the original.
Cut/copy/paste, so

Ctrl+X (cut)
Ctrl+V (paste)

does it in 1 less step.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2017, 03:17:29 PM »
Cut/copy/paste, so

Ctrl+X (cut)
Ctrl+V (paste)

does it in 1 less step.

Well, duh...

Mike Nash

« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »
...Siemens' implementation, though, is too tight adherence to Windows conventions.  If you click and drag an address, without also hitting Ctrl, it will MOVE the address rather than copying it...

RSLogix too, if offline.

no true undo/redo

Yes please! I'm still scared of what's there now because I have no idea what it will do.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2017, 10:16:00 AM »
Quote from: Mike Nash
Yes please! I'm still scared of what's there now because I have no idea what it will do.

I'm in the same boat :)
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
no true undo/redo

Quote from: Mike Nash

Quote from: plcnut
I'm in the same boat :)

I'm not sure I understand this. What specifically are you scared of? You can cancel a rung edit, you can use the roll-back facility to move back prior to the edits, and DmD creates automatic backups, beyond what you might be doing yourself. The only thing undo/redo would be doing is allowing you to rewind ladder edit states within a view.

Mike Nash

« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2017, 11:29:38 AM »
This feels like trying to explain what kind of monster I am afraid might be under the bed.

I just tried again and still am not comfortable with it. It feels cryptic and the whole "close what I am doing and reload a previous state", especially when I am not sure what exactly that state is, feels like signing a pact with...

Usually a quick Ctrl-Z to fix the blunder I just made is my goto. Especially with troubleshooting/debugging something where I have probably bounced around trying things means I do not want to leap back in time, I want to take small backsteps through the edits. If I undo one too many, I at least know pretty much where it was (and redo is handy there.)

I am not very methodical in how I think - I always turned in my outlines after the essay was finished in school. It's pretty much too late to change now, nor do I particularly want to.