Host Engineering Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 22, 2018, 09:31:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do more and H2 ctrio2  (Read 220 times)
DLTimmons

« on: April 11, 2018, 03:50:57 pm »

I just had my second system die that had a do-more and a single Ctrio2. the Ctrio2 just disappears from the rack configuration changing ctrio out does not fix only changing the base out fixed the problem. Module configuration states itís disconnected.  Last time I changed ever thing New ctrio new domore only when I changed the based did it see the ctrio again.  If you manual inter the Ctrio then all tags have to be changed as this is new configuration.  This does not help when I have upper management starting to think AB is the only way to go as they donít fail!
BobO
Host Moderator

Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 05:45:45 pm »

So the base failed? Unfortunately Host doesn't make them, so there is really nothing we can do. In happy to check with the guys at ADC to see if there are known issues.

As for the issue of the CTRIO going away, it disconnects when it can't see the module, but the original config is still there and can be reassigned to the slot on the module config page. You don't have to recreate anything.

"We would rather apologize to 20% for what we chose not to do, than to apologize to 100% for what we did poorly." -BobO
Garyhlucas

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 08:00:04 pm »

I just had my second system die that had a do-more and a single Ctrio2. the Ctrio2 just disappears from the rack configuration changing ctrio out does not fix only changing the base out fixed the problem. Module configuration states itís disconnected.  Last time I changed ever thing New ctrio new domore only when I changed the based did it see the ctrio again.  If you manual inter the Ctrio then all tags have to be changed as this is new configuration.  This does not help when I have upper management starting to think AB is the only way to go as they donít fail!

Phooey,
AB PLCs fail all the time.  My favorite is when they lose their program. Had another one last week.  I have used AD PLCs since they first introduced the DL205 and have very few failures, way less than the AB PLCs.  Oh yeah and for half the price I can afford those little accessories known as spares.
racrowd

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 08:50:25 am »

What's your environment?  Hot? Any particulate in the air?  How sealed is your enclosure?  Another engineer at my plant prefers AB in one location of our facility because there is a lot of oil mist in the air from cutting machines and claims they hold up better than Koyo due to the conditions they see.  The enclosures are old and not the best.  Just curious if you are running into a similar situation as he claims.  I don't believe AB is necessary in our situation.
DLTimmons

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 02:24:57 pm »

Talked with AD support this morning seams the early do-more had a power supply issue when used in DC bases and a revision was made starting with 7D units I had the older do-more AD will be replacing them. They said this was not an issue with the AC bases. We use mostly DC bases.

"only way to go as they donít fail!"  I should have said "only way to go as 'they think' they donít fail!"
BobO
Host Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 05:39:25 pm »

Talked with AD support this morning seams the early do-more had a power supply issue when used in DC bases and a revision was made starting with 7D units I had the older do-more AD will be replacing them. They said this was not an issue with the AC bases. We use mostly DC bases.

"only way to go as they donít fail!"  I should have said "only way to go as 'they think' they donít fail!"

The issue they are referring to doesn't sound like what you are describing. The failure mode of the Do-more CPU is that it fails to start at all...doesn't run...due to an unexpected change by our part supplier.

"We would rather apologize to 20% for what we chose not to do, than to apologize to 100% for what we did poorly." -BobO
DLTimmons

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 09:56:50 am »

If that not the issue then they will be replacing several Do-mores for the wrong reason. But worse if that's not the issue then I will still have the problem. I would think it more the base than the CPU. This has been one of those off and on projects dating back to Jan 2014 so the bases and do-more were bought then.

Had another issue a couple of week back had old H2-SERIO that would not connect to a pair of servo drive one on port A and one on port B replaced it with a H2-SERIO-4 and every thing started working.

Kept messing with the Do-more that lost the H2-CTRIO2 done a manual configuration and it see the H2-CTRIO2 now but I lost a serial connect on port A of a H2-SERIO-4
 to a servo drive. it still show up in the rack configuration that back on auto.

Maybe a description of the system is in order. This is an upgrade to a system we have been running for over 14 years that was running on a WinPLC. I have to keep the WinPLC as we have a server that runs the system of 4 of these machines. I'm working a fifth machine that is a backup of shorts was originally to run with one of the other unit but a few issue were never worked out on the server. Once all are upgraded the WinPLC will come out and the server reprogramed to work Modbus. I have a WinPLC that is connected to 3 Do-more that now doing the control there three section that have rack so I use three do-mores over remote bases. The use of the H2-SERIO forces the use of 3 do-mores. in the system are 3 servo drives and one induction motor and 4 stepper motors, along with laser distance sensors prox and the usual components. I use Modbus communication between the do-mores and WinPLC. The servos run off CTRIO's step direction the induction motor serial control over a RS485. I use RS232 on the servo to monitor the drives for status.

Please reference Call Ticket #01489310
BobO
Host Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:27:45 am »

I'm still not completely clear on what the actual problem is.

I thought I understood that the issue was that the CPU wasn't 'seeing' a CTRIO2 module, and that replacing the base fixed that. If that were to happen and the I/O configuration were set to 'Auto', the CPU would have disconnected the CTRIO2 module config when it didn't see the CTRIO2, and then would have recreated a new empty config when the CPU was able to again see the CTRIO2. My original comment was just explaining that you can reassign a disconnected module config to the module, which prevents you from needing to touch the program.

To clarify, the H2-DM1E issue that tech was describing is fairly recent, not older units. The symptom is that in DC bases (more so than AC), some CPUs would struggle to start their power supplies. Once they started, they were fine, but some units would just keep trying and never get booted. We hadn't changed anything in our design, but apparently the P/S chip manufacturer did, and we were forced to find a workaround. That shouldn't have any bearing at all on module discovery.

So lets take the problems one at a time, and maybe it would be best if you contacted us directly. Send your contact info to support@hosteng.com, and we'll help you through this.

Garyhlucas

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:57 pm »

Vendors changing parts drives me mad, especially when they keep the same part number. A DC motor control vendor changed components 3 times with no warning causing dozens of failures for our products. A rubber hose manufacturer reformulated the rubber and then the hose would no longer wind up on a reel. 17 pressure transmitters suddenly started failing because of a component change. It really is maddening!
DLTimmons

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 08:04:08 am »

Did the email to support make it?
BobO
Host Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 08:12:41 am »

Official keeper of the support account was out Friday.

Greg
HOSÜech
Host Moderator

Hmmm...

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 09:50:12 am »

Got it. Sorry. I was out of the office Friday.

There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.
Evilbeard

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 10:10:32 am »

Got it. Sorry. I was out of the office Friday.

How dare you?! You monster!  Wink
Greg
HOSÜech
Host Moderator

Hmmm...

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 10:18:59 am »

How dare you?! You monster!  Wink
Devil, not monster. <see avatar>

Grin

There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: