News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Request: Email Server support  (Read 1811 times)

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Request: Email Server support
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
We've managed to get SSL email going. So much pain...but it works.

One aspect of sending secure email is certificates. We see this happening three ways: 1) embed certificates for a few key services, 2) optionally disabling the certificate validation process, and 3) allowing users to manage their own certificates. The first two are easy, #3 is not hard, but does involve quite a bit of work that we can't get done until at least DmD 2.3. We are currently planning #1 and #2 in DmD 2.2, due out Q1.

So here's my request: We are going to embed support for a handful of mail services. Give us some input into what you'd like us to support. Obvious ones are GMail and Yahoo. We use Office365 here at Host, so that one will show up too. Beyond that, we'd like to hear your input!

Just an FYI: If we don't embed your preferred service, it doesn't mean you won't be able to send email through it, it just means that we won't be able to validate the certificate of that service.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: Request: Email Server support
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
Since you were foolish enough to start tapping at the dam face with your mason's hammer, let's just blow the 'dam' thing!   What's the projected feature list for 2.2?  Give us an inch.....
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:26 AM »
Since you were foolish enough to start tapping at the dam face with your mason's hammer, let's just blow the 'dam' thing!   What's the projected feature list for 2.2?  Give us an inch.....

Hardware support (BX-EBC/MBIO/DMIO, 32 point modules, BX-SIM, BX-SERIO, BX-HSIO), DNS/SSL support in email, and changing install structure to fit modern security requirements. Incremental stuff mostly. I'm sure there are a few more fixes/improvements, but I've been pretty buried in hardware. Maybe Franj will comment.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
Cool! Thanks for the update!

Very much looking forward to the 32-pt DIO and EBC's.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

plcnut

• premiersi.com
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:04:02 AM »
I use Gmail and Office365.
Circumstances don't determine who we are, they only reveal it.

~Jason Wolthuis
Premier Systems Integration, LLC
http://premiersi.com