News:

• April 18, 2024, 11:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: v2.1.3.3 DmD  (Read 3514 times)

Mike Nash

v2.1.3.3 DmD
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:24:06 AM »
I just ran into this yesterday!

BTW, the date is wrong on the referenced page http://hosteng.com/SW-Products/Domore%20Designer/DmDesigner.htm, it is October now.

Also, the link to AD's download just shows it downloading v2.1.2. ... Interrupted by a 5 minute phone call and come back to find 2.1.3 now available on AD website.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
Re: v2.1.3.3 DmD
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:26:50 PM »
Not sure if related but last week I was doing some maintenance on an older program (not sure if 1.4 or 2.0).

Uploaded the program just fine with v2.1, but after making a change, it wouldn't let me download without flashing the PLC, which I couldn't shut the process down to do (plus leery of flashing working PLCs in critical applications anyway).  Uploaded with 2.0 and it was able to do a runtime edit.

Are later versions not compatible with editing programs using earlier tech versions without upgrading the PLC? I thought I read here that you could do that, so long as you stayed within the feature set of the older version.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

Mike Nash

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
I have a H2-DM1E that is flashed to v2.0 that I can't open with 1.4, I can open with 2.1.3 but I will have to do a program mode download if I select Write to PLC (though I changed nothing), and I can open with 2.0 but it has the greyed out Write to PLC icon (also nothing has changed.)

The 2.1 won't allow you to write to the v2.0 due to the glitch. V2.1.3 fixes that, but still requires? a program mode download to save to PLC.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 04:09:19 PM »
I have a H2-DM1E that is flashed to v2.0 that I can't open with 1.4, I can open with 2.1.3 but I will have to do a program mode download if I select Write to PLC (though I changed nothing), and I can open with 2.0 but it has the greyed out Write to PLC icon (also nothing has changed.)

The 2.1 won't allow you to write to the v2.0 due to the glitch. V2.1.3 fixes that, but still requires? a program mode download to save to PLC.
Designer 2.1 tweaks the System Configuration DmT 2.0 or earlier, so any download to older firmware will require a PROGRAM mode download.

If you MUST ONLY do RUNTIME edits, stick with the Do-more Designer version that matches your PLC (e.g. 1.4 w/1.4, 2.0 w/2.0, etc.)

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 04:20:21 PM »
Not sure if related but last week I was doing some maintenance on an older program (not sure if 1.4 or 2.0).

Uploaded the program just fine with v2.1, but after making a change, it wouldn't let me download without flashing the PLC, which I couldn't shut the process down to do (plus leery of flashing working PLCs in critical applications anyway).  Uploaded with 2.0 and it was able to do a runtime edit.

Are later versions not compatible with editing programs using earlier tech versions without upgrading the PLC? I thought I read here that you could do that, so long as you stayed within the feature set of the older version.

If you cannot do a PROGRAM mode edit, then you need to stick with the Do-more Designer version that matches your PLC.

It IS compatible as long as you do not use any 2.1 features, but it will tweak the System Configuration regardless, requiring a PROGRAM mode download (hence, no runtime edit).  Note that once you download a project using Designer 2.1 to a 1.4 PLC, you CANNOT open it with Designer 1.4.  But you CAN open it with 2.1 (and 2.2 and 2.3 and 3.0 and ...).

I have a 1.0 Do-more on my wall from 2012 and write a simple 2.1 project to it and it works with the original 1.0 firmware!  But once I start using Designer 2.1, I need to keep moving forward (1.0 Designer does not understand every tweak/enhancement added over 5 years).

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 04:25:25 PM »
If memory serves, and it often does not, I think 2.1 was insisting on flashing, not a Program mode download, or at least that's what I took it to be saying at the time.  A program mode download I probably could have done.
I retract my earlier statement that half of all politicians are crooks.  Half of all politicians are NOT crooks.  There.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
We never force a firmware update.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »
If memory serves, and it often does not, I think 2.1 was insisting on flashing, not a Program mode download, or at least that's what I took it to be saying at the time.  A program mode download I probably could have done.

I am not familiar with the term "flashing".  It has to write the project to flash, runtime edit or program mode edit, so not sure what you mean.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »
If by "flashing" you mean "update firmware", you do have to update the firmware if your disk project uses a feature not supported by the current PLC firmware, e.g. using a SUBROUTINE in a DmT 1.4 firmware PLC.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.....

This is on an H2-DM1E with a program (this one is v1.3).  I uploaded to an online project in 2.1, made a small change and tried to write to PLC.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
I am not familiar with the term "flashing".  It has to write the project to flash, runtime edit or program mode edit, so not sure what you mean.

"Flashing" in my experience is colloquial for updating firmware.

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
If by "flashing" you mean "update firmware", you do have to update the firmware if your disk project uses a feature not supported by the current PLC firmware, e.g. using a SUBROUTINE in a DmT 1.4 firmware PLC.

In the case with the screenshot I posted above, I uploaded, went into Edit Mode, and changed a contact from normally open to normally closed.  Then when commencing a download, I got that error.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 06:46:59 PM »

I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there.....

This is on an H2-DM1E with a program (this one is v1.3).  I uploaded to an online project in 2.1, made a small change and tried to write to PLC.

Ok, let me rephrase, once the bugs are removed, we never force a firmware update. I've been out of the loop for two weeks, but I think this has been fixed.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

Controls Guy

• Internal Dev
  • Darth Ladder
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
Ok, let me rephrase, once the bugs are removed, we never force a firmware update. I've been out of the loop for two weeks, but I think this has been fixed.

Just downloaded and installed 2.1.3.  Let me try that same thing again and see what it says.

Update:  Yep, you called it.  2.1.3 handles it just fine (with Program Mode download).

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:50:10 PM by Controls Guy »

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »
Yeah, that was the bug that we fixed in 2.1.3.  2.1.1 and 2.1.2 basically flagged EVERY project as having one of the new BRX Analog modules, even 205 and Terminator, or BRX PLCs that did NOT have an Analog Module.

Download the latest Designer and that will go away.  :-[