News:

• April 25, 2024, 02:08:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: POM ASCII  (Read 3092 times)

mhw

POM ASCII
« on: July 14, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
I have a section of code that I have used in another program running on a T1H-DM1E. I have the serial port set up for ASCII. It then passes through a FA-ISOCON for conversion to 4 wire RS-485. I can't get this to work on the RS-232 POM of a BRX. Is there any differences between the two serial ports that could be causing this problem?

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
Re: POM ASCII
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 08:43:30 AM »
The Serial Comm POMs are slave only, for specific protocols.  It cannot be used for ASCII/Custom protocols, or for Mastering.

The built-in serial port on your BRX can be configured for ASCII/Custom protocol, just like the built-in serial port on your T1H.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »
The Serial Comm POMs are slave only, for specific protocols.  It cannot be used for ASCII/Custom protocols, or for Mastering.

The built-in serial port on your BRX can be configured for ASCII/Custom protocol, just like the built-in serial port on your T1H.

That's incorrect. The POM can definitely be master and custom protocol for serial. The only thing limited is the ECOMLT.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:54:01 AM »
That's incorrect. The POM can definitely be master and custom protocol for serial. The only thing limited is the ECOMLT.

Sweet!  So you can do MRX/MWX, STREAMOUT to POM serial, but not ECOMLT POM.

mhw, not sure what your issue is then.   ;D

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:47 AM »
I have a section of code that I have used in another program running on a T1H-DM1E. I have the serial port set up for ASCII. It then passes through a FA-ISOCON for conversion to 4 wire RS-485. I can't get this to work on the RS-232 POM of a BRX. Is there any differences between the two serial ports that could be causing this problem?

I'm betting it's something related to the RTS/CTS.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

mhw

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
Can you be more specific?
I have eliminated the FA-ISOCON from being the problem. I took it to the site that is working and installed it there.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
Can you be more specific?
I have eliminated the FA-ISOCON from being the problem. I took it to the site that is working and installed it there.

Have never used one, but just wondering if the ISOCON needs RTS/CTS handshaking to control the RS485 side. The POM doesn't provide RTS/CTS as part of the basic configuration, but I'm pretty sure your can use SETUPSER to alter the config at runtime.

Other than that possibility, I'm not sure what could be different.

ATU

• Internal Dev
  • YKPAIHA
    • ATU, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
I have used those before, RTS is not required. They just work if the TX/RX lines and the baud rate is set correctly. Do you see any blinky lights on the ISOCON? If not, set up a test to transmit a repeated string of characters and then connect your RS232 out from the POM into a serial port on a PC running Puty.

mhw

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
You lost that bet. I got back on site today. One programming mistake,("STREAMOUT" the wrong control sequence)and one bad cable.

BobO

• Host Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 10:37:39 AM »
You lost that bet. I got back on site today. One programming mistake,("STREAMOUT" the wrong control sequence)and one bad cable.

Fortunately I don't gamble for a living. Glad it's working.