News:

• March 29, 2024, 05:35:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECOM Busy SP problem  (Read 6830 times)

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
ECOM Busy SP problem
« on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
I have an ECOM100 installed in the last slot of a DL205 9-slot base. Per the manual, SP136 is the "Busy" contact, and SP137 is the "Error" contact. I have a counter triggered by SP136 to advance through ModbusIP R/W instructions. My company has ~80 machines deployed worldwide.

On the test PLC at my desk, SP136 triggers on each R/W and advances the counter. But when I try to deploy the software to an equivalent PLC in the field, SP136 never triggers, even if I advance the counter by some other means (like SP4). Is there a configuration instruction that I'm missing?

ADC Product Engineer

Re: ECOM Busy SP problem
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
Either:

a) The Peer table is not setup

or

b) Switch 7 is not turned on on the ECOM100

I imagine that it is probably B.

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:24 AM »
A) I assume you mean the Peer-to-Peer configuration in NetEdit3. That is configured correctly, or so I assume, because ModbusIP communication works to the desired device.

B) I thought switch 7 only needed to be on to use Ibox instructions? I have tried in my test CPU with it on and off, SP136 works both ways.

To elaborate on the original issue: I am not using Iboxes for communication, I am using the WX and RX ladder commands. The ModbusIP communication is working, because I get data from the remote device, but when communicating SP136 does not trigger.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 08:44:54 PM »
Is this only happening on one specific system or on any system in the field?

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 08:49:56 PM »
Is this only happening on one specific system or on any system in the field?

SP136 does not work on several machines that we have in the field. I have been unable to find a correlation between them. We have a machine on the production floor now that did not flag SP136 4 weeks ago, but when I logged in to update software today it did. It has always worked on my test PLC, but we have other machines where it has never worked.

ADC Product Engineer

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:31 PM »
If that is the case then I am out of ideas for the moment.  I'll talk  to some of the other folks at ADC and see if they can think of something.

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
At the top of your ladder logic, stick a

STR SP136
OR SP137
INC V3000  // or some other unused User V

and see if that slot is reporting anything (success or failure).  V3000 should stay 0 if that slot is not doing anything.

You also might want to see what the ACTUAL I/O configuration is.  Have someone at the remote site do PLC->I/O Configuration and take a screen shot (Alt+PrtScn) and paste that into an email back to you.  Could be a bad module, bad base, missing module, etc.  The I/O Config can tell you exactly what is there in that last slot (slot 7 on a 9 slot base - first slot is CPU slot, second slot is I/O slot 0, 9th slot is I/O slot 7)

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
If you use the IBoxes, then you don't have to care about the SP-bits. For example, you could use the ECOM100 IBox at the top of ladder and then use the ECRX and ECWX for comms (with proper reference to the Module ID of the peer-to-peer table, of course). Much easier to manage, IMHO.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
At the top of your ladder logic, stick a

STR SP136
OR SP137
INC V3000  // or some other unused User V

and see if that slot is reporting anything (success or failure).  V3000 should stay 0 if that slot is not doing anything.

You also might want to see what the ACTUAL I/O configuration is.  Have someone at the remote site do PLC->I/O Configuration and take a screen shot (Alt+PrtScn) and paste that into an email back to you.  Could be a bad module, bad base, missing module, etc.  The I/O Config can tell you exactly what is there in that last slot (slot 7 on a 9 slot base - first slot is CPU slot, second slot is I/O slot 0, 9th slot is I/O slot 7)

I work for an OEM, all of our PLCs are part of a larger control cabinet that we build in-house. Our clients do not modify the hardware. Furthermore, I was standing in front of one of those machines last week. Hardware configuration correct, no SP136.

Quote from: Greg
If you use the IBoxes, then you don't have to care about the SP-bits. For example, you could use the ECOM100 IBox at the top of ladder and then use the ECRX and ECWX for comms (with proper reference to the Module ID of the peer-to-peer table, of course). Much easier to manage, IMHO.

I could do that, but then I have to get all of our clients in the field to pull the card out of the PLC and turn Switch 7 ON for the IBoxes. I'm trying to avoid having to make hardware changes to get this to work. Also, don't the IBoxes use the SP bits, they just process them internally?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 12:37:52 PM by jthibedeau »

franji1

• Bit Weenie
  • Host Moderator
    • Host Engineering
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 12:28:24 PM »
What I meant by "Actual I/O Configuration" is what the PLC thinks it has, not necessarily what is physically there.

The I/O Configuration dialog reports what the PLC thinks it has.  Bad modules, bent pins, bad bases, bad connectors, power budget, etc. can cause symptoms like what you are seeing.  Hence, looking at the I/O Configuration through DirectSOFT helps diagnose those kinds of issues.  I doubt any of these are THE issue since it is occurring multiple places, however, there could be some systemic issue that could be causing the problem(s).

You may need to contact Automation Direct technical support to help with this issue.  It's definitely a strange one.

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
What I meant by "Actual I/O Configuration" is what the PLC thinks it has, not necessarily what is physically there.

The I/O Configuration dialog reports what the PLC thinks it has.  Bad modules, bent pins, bad bases, bad connectors, power budget, etc. can cause symptoms like what you are seeing.  Hence, looking at the I/O Configuration through DirectSOFT helps diagnose those kinds of issues.  I doubt any of these are THE issue since it is occurring multiple places, however, there could be some systemic issue that could be causing the problem(s).

You may need to contact Automation Direct technical support to help with this issue.  It's definitely a strange one.

I'll take a look at the I/O config. AD tech support was unable to solve the  problem, I basically got a "Huh, that's weird. Sorry."

TheGreatMarklar

• Rix Industries
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 12:38:30 PM »
I/O Config does not show any problems, modules match what is physically installed.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 01:10:37 PM »
Sorry for the trouble jthibedeau, but sounds like you're going to have to troubleshoot it in the field. You may have to write a simple troubleshooting program and start pulling other modules out of the base and/or move the H2-ECOM100 to a different slot. I recommend you put an END at the top of ladders, then insert your test program above that, which simply does a LD, LD, LDA, RX/WX and see if you can get that to work in the field. If it doesn't, change one variable (i.e. power down, remove one module, power up and try again, etc.) It could be that another I/O module in the field is interfering with the base (inducing noise, who knows), or it could be a power budget thing, dirty power, etc. SOMETHING, of course, is different if it works in your lab but not in the field. Therefore isolation of the issue is necessary.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:13:08 PM by Greg »
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.