News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:14:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLC vmem data send request to MES over Ethernet  (Read 20249 times)

PDietz

PLC vmem data send request to MES over Ethernet
« on: February 06, 2017, 10:21:34 AM »
Hello,

I've been asked by my employer (Roush) to develop a tank leakage test process that ties into our MES system.  The tank leakage detector outputs the test results serially (RS232), which I plan to capture and save to the vmemory of the PLC (DL06) with ladder logic. The MES system in which I will be integrating the test process is written in C# (.Net 4.0).  I have the Host Engineering VB.net (.Net 1.1) code, which is working.  I'm able to read and write from the PC to vmemory using the vb.net demo program.  My plan would be to retrofit the demo code into the MES system. 

The plan is for the MES system to initiate a test through process to the PLC, which cause the PLC to fire off the tank test RLL.  The PLC in conjunction with RLL performs the necessary steps to complete the tank leakage test and then forwards the test results back to the MES system over the network.  Is it possible for the PLC to initiate the send request, of the leak test results, to the MES system over the network (TCP\IP) possibly using DirectNet?   I would appreciate any assistance in architecting the best solution to accomplish the stated goal.

Thanks,
Paul

PDietz

Re: PLC vmem data send request to MES over Ethernet
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
I forgot to mention that along with the DL06 we are using an ECOM100 module.

PDietz

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:16:37 PM »
Does anyone know whether or not a MODBUS TCP setup will work for the scenario I outlined in my previous post?   

b_carlton

• Internal Dev
    • thePLCguy
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 04:42:04 PM »
The DL06 with the ECOM100 support Modbus TCP both as server and client. The ECOM manual has the information and examples.
An output is a PLC's way of getting its inputs to change.