News:

• March 29, 2024, 02:17:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECOM Communication With Java Application  (Read 4281 times)

tim s

ECOM Communication With Java Application
« on: September 22, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Hello,
I am building a PC based HMI system that utilizes a DL06 PLC and it has the H0-ECOM ethernet card installed. I have the PLC setup and I can send UDP packets to it, but I can't connect to it via TCP through the Java application. I am trying to connect via a socket and was kind of expecting that there is listening TCP port (28784) on the ECOM card but for some reason its not working. I have checked my firewall and allow both tcp and udp 28784.

What else am I missing? I appreciate your responses.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Re: ECOM Communication With Java Application
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:20:46 PM »
ECOM only speaks UDP. What are you trying to do via TCP?
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO

tim s

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 11:33:16 AM »
Thanks Bob. I wasn't sure if the ECOM understood TCP or not. I wanted to use TCP just to make sure packets were sent and received by the ECOM.

Greg

• HostTech
  • Host Moderator
  • Hmmm...
    • Host Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »
FYI, the H0-ECOM100 (not the H0-ECOM) understands Modbus TCP, but not raw TCP.
There are two types of people in the world; those that can extrapolate from incomplete data sets.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
Thanks Bob. I wasn't sure if the ECOM understood TCP or not. I wanted to use TCP just to make sure packets were sent and received by the ECOM.

I have never been a fan of trusting something buried in a stack that I can't control, so we crafted all of our protocols to expose the timeout and retry mechanism. We do support TCP where required (Modbus/TCP, email, etc), but our programming protocol is strictly UDP.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO