News:

• March 29, 2024, 08:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Connect to DL06 port 1 (serial) through cellular modem serial port using DS5.3  (Read 2459 times)

ailr

I want to be able to connect to a D0-06DR PLC at a remote site with DS5.3.  I have a Sierra Wireless LS300 cellular modem at the site that I use to connect to a data logger via Ethernet.  Unfortunately, I don't have an open expansion slot that I can use to add an ECOM100 to the D0-06.  In addition to the Ethernet port, LS300 has a DB9 serial port that can be used to connect to serial devices.  I can set up the serial port to route incoming packets on a specific port (ie 28784) to the serial port.

In the past I've used serial port servers (Moxa NPort) to do something very similar however the NPort had a virtual serial port driver that created a virtual COM1 port.  I could then set up a link to that virtual COM1 in DS5.3.  I don't have a similar option for the LS300.

My question is can I use an Ethernet link setup in DS5.3 to connect to the PLC through the cell modem's serial port to the D0-06's port 1.  Does K Sequence or DirectNET over an Ethernet link look like K Sequence or DirectNET over a COM link or are they very different?

I've tried establishing a connection this way but so far haven't had any success.  If there's any experience out there with something similar I would appreciate any suggestions.  Or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks.

BobO

• Host Moderator
  • Yes Pinky, Do-more will control the world!
Wrong tree. The messages are the same, but little else.
"It has recently come to our attention that users spend 95% of their time using 5% of the available features. That might be relevant." -BobO